Configuring automation BDD framework to work vs both a simulator and real application

Hey,

We have an automation framework in place that can be configured to submit API requests against a downstream real application or a downstream simulator application. The BDD looks like the following

Given I configure my request
When I submit a request
Then I check the response is valid

The ‘Given I configure my request’ contains the logic for whether to submit requests vs a real app or simulator app based on parameter passed in when starting the tests.

The trouble is some of our negative tests can only be run against the simulator (e.g. application timeout) and therefore we want the BDD to look like the following:

Given I configure the simulator to respond with a timeout
And I configure my request
When I submit a request
Then I check the response is valid

The ‘Given I configure the simualtor to respond with a timeout’ step obviously doesn’t apply when running the tests vs the real application.

I can think of the following solutions to this problem:

1. Create separate story/feature files for vs simulator and vs real application
  2. Encapsulate the logic for configuring the simulator in the ‘Given I configure my request’ step
  3. Use of meta-tags that tag each scenario as @simulator or @realApp and then run tests based on these conditions
  4. Keep the simulator configuration step but do no logic if its running vs the real Application

Can anyone offer any suggestions on the approach I should take?