Discussion: Reporting Your Exploratory Testing

On Thursday of Exploratory Testing Week, @sumanbala will be joined by @arzamon, @ranjani and @laveenaramchandani01 to answer all of your questions about reporting on your exploratory testing.

If we don’t get to your questions during the session, we’ll add them to the thread below for our presenters to answer later.

If you’d like to continue the conversation from the session, this thread is an excellent place to do that :grin: Share resources and follow up success stories from your learnings here!

@ranjani’s past work with MoT From Rags to Riches: Turning Your Test Automation Into a | MoT, Panel Discussion: Strategy and Approach to UI Automation | MoT

@laveenaramchandani01’s recent article Usability Testing Guide & Benefits | MoT

@arzamon mentioned RIMGEA, this is a great post about that:

https://spin.atomicobject.com/2015/03/20/rimgea-testing-mnemonic/

@laveenaramchandani01 mentioned Matomo - https://matomo.org/

TestBuddy was recommended as a tool to use https://testbuddy.co/

Questions we didn’t get to

1. @bpennell: If you come across issues that you struggle to replicate consistently, or things that aren’t clear, how long do you spend investigating these before moving on?
  2. @deborahreid: Who do you report your exploratory testing for?
  3. Anonymous: How to get started/what to do if you get stuck?

Additional Question: Has anyone had a session with the MoT (TestSphere, Would You Heu-Risk It?) cards and Devs? I’m planning a session so tips would be good. :grin:

1 Like

Hi, I would like to answer : @friendlytester: How to get started/what to do if you get stuck?

I think a way to get into reporting your exploratory testing could be to use an existing charter template (any online one) and edit the details to capture your product under test. Time box your session and then have your notes/videos/screenshots ready to review. Step 2 would be to create another similar style charter, however this time not from an existing template, but your own charter and see how both charters differ from one another and what did you learn from both charters?

If you get stuck which I have once, I would take a short break and come back to it and have my goals in front of me to proceed and get back in track again. Otherwise if I am really stuck/distracted then I would prefer to start from scratch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello! I would like to answer to the question to @deborahreid (even if I believe, we might have touched it during the panel).
I report my exploratory testing for:

1. myself: test notes and taking note of the charters/sessions I already did, helps me have an idea of which areas are covered and what I did, in case I need to repeat the session at a different time or get an inspiration.
  2. the dev. team: bug reports & risks are a key outcome of an exploratory testing session. In this part, I focus on the easiest and fastest steps to reproduce a problem, with additional technical information that might be needed (log files, crash dumps, configurations…). I focus as well on clear expected behaviour. The goal is for them to fix the problem as properly and fast as possible
  3. PO or project manager, team lead (whoever that decided what and when something gets fixed): in that case, I strongly focus on the impact to the customers of a certain bug, risk or improvement and showing how often the problem can happen. The goal is to have people be compelled to fix the issue.
  4. Management or stakeholders interested in the status of the project: the goal is to summarize the exploratory sessions is a compelling story, showing not only the problems but the journey: what did we want to discover? What were our assumptions? What did we learn on the way? What was positive or impressive? What issues did we find (that they might be interested in)?

So, this would be my (incomplete) answer to “Who do you report your exploratory testing for?”

3 Likes

Here is what i would answer to @bpennell If you come across issues that you struggle to replicate consistently, or things that aren’t clear, how long do you spend investigating these before moving on?

I would suggest spend some time on it (max 30 mins) and see if you can still replicate it. If you feel like its becoming a struggle, leave it but make a note of it just in case you can look into it in the future. Also if things are not clear to you in terms of product functionalities you could even pair with the product owner and see what you both find out.

2 Likes