Do you know the reason why slow websites actually annoy you?

Marie Cruz (@marie.drake) spoke at TestBash UK 2023 about the psychology of web performance where she showed us tips and recommendations to share with our teams on making websites faster for both objective and subjective performance measures.

Marie Cruz with a picture of her daughter in a restaurant showing a bubble with the phrase 'Happily waiting for my food'

So we invite you to watch this talk and use this Club thread to:

• Share what you’d like to apply or have already applied at work
  • Open a discussion about what you’ve learned
  • Share your appreciation for Marie
  • Ask a question

:film_projector: Watch “The Psychology of Web Performance”

:information_source: This talk is available to watch with a Pro Membership

How about you? How does waiting time impact you? Do you know the reasons why slow websites actually annoy you? Are you curious to know how you can make your website faster?

1 Like

Pro Members Only

How about you? How does waiting time impact you? Do you know the reasons why slow websites actually annoy you? Are you curious to know how you can make your website faster?

Slow websites(in terms of response time) annoy me because I expect an evolution of software apps over time.
I see the whole point of technology to make things easier and faster for us humans - otherwise, they’re just failed experiments.
Some websites are slower and others faster at various things, having to use the internet in such a way feels like something randomly using the brakes of my car while driving. It’s quite disturbing as I’m expecting a linear flow.

In relation to the quick and linear flow (performance-related) I see also an annoyance in:

• popups, ads, requests for chat, auto-starting videos/audio which I have to dismiss;
  • long or complicated flows that focus more on the business and needs of the company than on the user;
  • variation or invention of new ui/ux from the largely known ones;
  • multi-platform combinations with a disconnect between them and their design and usability;
  • optimized for X(where X can be mobile Android);
  • having to install and use an app(apps being usually different) instead of the website;