Email Testing: Which Tool?

I saw a question on Testers.chat today that I’ve never seen asked before. I figured if it’s such a niche thing, there might be other people out there who have a similar query and aren’t sure where to look so it was worth transferring to The Club.

What tools anyone can suggest for emails testing, such as litmus or email on acid?

4 Likes

Litmus and Email on Acid are undoubtedly the big players in this field, but here’s my personal cheatsheet for getting started with email testing:

Mailchimp has a built-in email testing offering, powered by Litmus:

… but you can only do so many tests per month, it’s basically a shareware version of Litmus I guess.

Campaign Monitor has their own offering, which is free if you’re on an Unlimited or Premier plan:

When testing emails (which is not very often), I also like to review Mailchimp’s email design docs to find bad practices I should be looking out for, and better practices that I could suggest in their place:
https://templates.mailchimp.com/

There’s also this free standalone tool, now owned by Litmus:
https://putsmail.com/
It doesn’t show you what your email will look like in different clients, but if you want to take the DIY approach then this tool will do the complicated bit (sending the email) for you.

2 Likes

I have used both Litmus and Email on Acid and functionality wise, there is not a lot of difference between the two. Litmus does have a slightly larger range of clients to check.
The largest difference is in price. you get a lot more bang for your buck with Email on Acid in my opinion.
I believe we get the pro package for cheaper than the cheapest litmus package.

1 Like

The Testim test automation tool has email testing functionality that let’s you auto-generate unlimited random email addresses that can be used to test email services such as site registrations and the like. Validation of email content can be performed inline after the email is received or within 2 hours (emails are stored for 2 hours). Within this time frame emails can be manually viewed and/or validated automatically as desired.

Barry

1 Like

Email testing is a testing type in which a tester verifies that how an email is likely to perform across various inbox providers, devices, and spam filters and etc. If you are sending an email without testing, it can cause many mistakes, like email is not displaying properly for some clients, emails are landing in spam boxes, the awkward formatting in your email design, etc.

Nowadays many web application testing services companies perform email testing to ensure that everything is working fine after sending an email like links are not broken/incorrect and the content or image in the email is loading properly for each and every client’s email with different settings.

To get more business from the email marketing the content and look of the email should be effective.

There are plenty of email testing tools available in the market to test the email preview, verification, SPAM Score, and email subject line. Below are some email testing tools:

• Email on Acid
  • Email Checker
  • Email Verifier
  • Litmus
  • Touchstone
  • Test Subject

Hope this helps.