First Software Tester Job in September - What should I be focusing on?

I’m starting my first Software Tester job/apprenticeship in September and I want to learn as much as I can between now and then to feel more confident when I begin. I’m currently working through a good Udemy course by Tarek Roshdy (ISTQB). Are there any aspects that I should be studying/focusing/experimenting on specifically as a beginner Tester? Is there anything you’d do differently looking back, when starting as a Tester?

The company I’ll be working for uses Microsoft Test Manager/Azure DevOps Test Hub for Manual and for Automation Workflow Testing uses Ranorex with C#.

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

There are a lot of 30 days challenges on the MOT site. I would suggest you do a few or even all of them. These are meant to teach you a subject in a very nice way, step by step, with not a HUGE amount of effort.

4 Likes

I’ve written a bunch of posts targeted at people new to testing here, which you might find interesting :nerd_face:*https://nicolalindgren.com/categories/starting-in-testing*/

SOme super quick tips for you here

• ask for feedback on your work
  • ask questions (it’s expected, you are new)
  • take good notes of what you learn
  • build relationships with your colleagues, this will help you further down the track
4 Likes

There will be many Rapid Software Testing courses until September. Both Applied or Explored will help you to be effective in a testing job, besides putting you in contact with a great group of testers.

4 Likes

I would remember that you’re being hired specifically as an apprentice/junior tester - that means you should have a lot of support and time to learn once you have already started the role, and people to help you make decisions on the best path to take.

However, if you do have the time and the inclination to begin something beforehand, you might want to explore the following:-

• Read Nicola’s recent book “Starting Your Career In Software Testing” - lots of nuggets of wisdom in there that will be directly applicable to someone in your position
  • If you’ve time, consider planning a test portfolio - be that a trello board of the areas you are learning/want to learn, a playbook of good testing talks you want to watch, or a set of github repo’s of beginners test automation frameworks. You don’t have to complete it, but planning it out gives you something to show your new managers and a kick off point for further learning
  • Finally, as your new company is using Azure DevOps - I’d say to think about becoming Azure Fundamentals certified by Microsoft. You can do the revision for free on their online materials and then encourage your work to pay for you to take the exam (its pretty cheap and I think there’s enough value in this for your new company to be happy to pay).

Congratulations on your new role and all the best for your future testing career!

6 Likes

I’d focus on understanding the product, the tech stack, how your team works and how projects are delivered. Identify key people/Subject matter experts you can learn from. Aslo see if there’s someone good at testing in your team and shadow them. Practice practice always beats reading reading reading

4 Likes

Hey Daniel!

I just wanted to say don’t worry. I’m now 3 months into my Testing apprenticeship and I laugh when I think about how scared or nervous I was before/shortly after starting my job! I started out with absolutely no experience outside of spending a few hours on a Udemy course prior to my interview. It is insane how much you will pick up and learn when you start your job.

I’ve found that everyone in this industry seems to be super helpful and committed to helping each other learn. So when you start the job, have an open mind and make that extra effort to talk to people. You will learn a lot just by listening to fellow testers / developers. Don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions.

In terms of what to focus on when training, it’s still early days for me in this career but I have spent a lot of my spare time learning how to get the most from devtools. The quality in my testing and defect reporting has greatly increased since I started the job and it’s mainly because of this.

Good luck!

7 Likes

Congratulations on landing the job!

A lot of “getting ready for a job” happens on the job.
You’re hired at your current level according to your own account, so don’t worry yourself too much.

If you do want to prepare, I would suggest taking a class in c# for your current level, so either a beginners, refresher course, or intermediate, advanced - you know your own level best.

Testing is a very diverse field, preparations, even istqb, will give you a foundation, but not necessarily detailed knowledge for your specific position.

Take care to be rested and ready for learning once you have started the job! That’s my best advice I wish I myself had gotten before my first test position.

2 Likes

All excellent suggestions above! I thought I’d also throw in this free course from Dan Ashby and Mark Winteringham; Introduction to Software Development and Testing. It introduces you to software testing terms with context behind them. Plus it introduces you to members of the software development team, their roles and how they all work together. Lots more useful stuff in there too with hands-on activities.

Congrats on your new job. You’ve done really well with you’re own research, finding MoT and asking the community for support.

Best,

Sarah

2 Likes

Thank you so much everyone, I didn’t know exactly what to expect when joining this forum, but I’m really grateful for all the thoughtful responses and support.

I’m going to finish this Udemy course and then consider all the advice I’ve been given on this thread. Thanks again!

Well done on obtaining your apprenticeship Ben, glad everythings working out for you.

Agree 100%. I’m just over a month into my first job as a tester and while they’ve provided me with so many resources, the most important has been simply shadowing my work colleagues. Seeing everything in motion, in the context of what you will actually be doing, is incredible. I also took the Intro to Software Testing course here of course. That helped me understand pretty much everything and was true to what I experienced, starting with working on an agile team.

My best advice regarding Udemy courses, or any courses, is to take notes. I have a spreadsheet of notes that I took when attending the Intro to Software course and it helped me out so much - especially while I was interviewing for the position. I definitely plan on taking more of the courses that are offered here to further my knowledge of the concepts I’m learning as a tester.

Good luck!

1 Like

Take your time.

You will be inheriting a spaghetti monster of Ranorex test suites. Do not expect to be able to fix anything overnight, take our time to unravel the history, learn some coping strategies. Identify , and then start fixing the things that slow you down first, rather than trying to fix everything in the new job in one go. And after your first year on the job, rewrite your CV because you have added a whole rank to your skills. Congrats.

1 Like