Growth v Fixed Mindset

Hey everyone!

I’ve been reflecting on the importance of mindset in our professional journeys.

What are some effective strategies you’ve found helpful in transitioning from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset? I’d love to hear your insights and experiences!”

3 Likes

It starts with being open to possibilities.

The world has infinite possibilities. Not restricting ourselves to the defined boundaries and patterns.

Not being restricted to the so called “best” practices, but rather stretching our boundaries to define more good practices.

It also needs to think beyond the conventional paths :slight_smile:

Growth is often unstructured at the start, embracing chaos is hard but important for long term growth.

2 Likes

We should notice when we’re thinking with a fixed mindset. We might use phrases like “I can’t do this”.

Considering feedback/criticism as valuable instead of being defensive helps to learn & grow.

Embracing challenges/setbacks also aids to improve, even if it means making mistakes along the way. Mistakes are normal. Learn from them & keep moving forward. :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

If I had read this 20 years ago, Ansha, I’m not sure I would have listened in the way I do now. I sure needed the growth mindset message, and was very aware of fixed mindset.
But it is hard. It’s the almost liminal space you need to jump into and observe yourself in your journey that young folk never switch into because they don’t have that “long lens” of experience. But they do live in that moment and the experience of chaos in it’s midst is vital to building the “long lens” that lets you reflect on your career journey later on. So sure, do be critical of your journey, but also be loving towards yourself and those around you first. We all know that there is no magic career path growing bullet, and merely having growth as a goal will never ever give you the hunger that truly makes that growth happen to your maximum capacity for it. Be hungry, but always love.

2 Likes

I’ve shared some posts on LinkedIn focusing on the mindset (of QA Engineers). This particular post may be relevant for you, offer valuable insights, and contribute to your reflections:

Skills vs Experience
Mindset Diversity in Tech
Many IT companies are obsessed with a set of popular buzzword skills when hiring QA experts. They overlook the breadth of experience, diverse ideas, philosophical background, and creativity that can make a truly exceptional candidate.
Imagine hiring a QA engineer/analyst who has worked on a variety of products, tools, and teams across different industries. They bring a unique perspective and a wealth of knowledge to the table. They’re also more likely to be adaptable, resourceful, and innovative.
Instead, IT companies often hire candidates with a few of the most important, as they think, skills (such as Java, Selenium, SQL, ISTQB certificates, etc), but who lack the broader experience and mindset that’s essential for success. Programming in the QA, in most cases, is not about deep knowledge in a particular language, QAs are not DB admins, there are lots of tools like Selenium that may do the same, e.g. Puppeteer and Playwright, etc. They then task these candidates with various activities and assignments, expecting creativity and proactiveness, but are surprised when they excel primarily in a couple of specific types of tasks.
It’s time for IT companies to rethink their hiring process. They need to start valuing candidates with a broad range of experiences and a growth mindset. These are the candidates who will help them to build the most innovative and successful teams.

1 Like

Absolutely! Transitioning from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset is like embarking on an adventure filled with endless possibilities. It’s about breaking free from the constraints of what we think we know and embracing the uncertainty of what could be.
Just like exploring uncharted territories, it can be daunting at first, but the journey itself is where the magic happens.

By daring to think beyond the norm and welcoming the chaos of growth, we pave the way for incredible discoveries and personal evolution. Here’s to embracing the journey and embracing the boundless opportunities that lie ahead!

Transitioning from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset is indeed a journey of self-awareness and resilience. It’s about recognizing those moments when we limit ourselves with phrases like “I can’t” and consciously shifting our perspective towards possibilities.

Embracing feedback and criticism with an open mind allows us to learn and evolve, rather than becoming defensive.
Challenges and setbacks become opportunities for growth when we embrace them wholeheartedly, understanding that mistakes are simply part of the learning process.
Let’s normalize making mistakes, learning from them, and moving forward with newfound wisdom and determination. Here’s to embracing the ups and downs of our professional journeys with grace and resilience!

It’s incredibly insightful to hear your reflections on the journey from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset, especially considering the wisdom that comes with experience.
You’re absolutely right that embracing the chaos of the moment is crucial for developing that “long lens” perspective over time. It’s a delicate balance of self-reflection and self-compassion, isn’t it?
Being critical of our journey while also extending kindness and understanding to ourselves and those around us. And you hit the nail on the head – there’s no one-size-fits-all formula for career growth. It’s about cultivating that hunger for growth, fueled by passion and love for what we do. Here’s to embracing the journey with open hearts and minds, always hungry for growth yet grounded in love and compassion.

Your insights shed light on a critical aspect of transitioning from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset in the realm of QA engineering. It’s not just about acquiring specific technical skills; it’s about embracing a broader mindset that values diverse experiences and perspectives. Your analogy of hiring QA engineers with a wealth of varied experiences resonates deeply. Indeed, it’s these individuals who bring a unique blend of creativity, adaptability, and innovation to the table. Your call for IT companies to reassess their hiring processes and prioritize candidates with a growth mindset is both timely and necessary. Let’s advocate for a shift towards valuing holistic experiences and embracing the diversity of thought in building truly exceptional teams.

1 Like

@parwalrahul @shad0wpuppet @poojitha-chandra @conrad.braam thankyou for your insights and efforts​:sparkles::heart:

3 Likes