Guidelines to test a REST API?

Is there a set of general test cases or guidelines for testing various kinds of REST APIs ? I know that a similar question was already asked here Test cases for REST APIs - #9 by jamesg, but the answers are either too superficial or too small. I am looking for a professional & comprehensive document which covers the basics and does not just consist of small brain dumps. Do you know any online resources or books which could provide such guidance ?

There is a video on MOT also, but its really just answers to a bunch of random api testing questions. Testing Ask Me Anything - API Testing - Hilary Weaver-Robb | MoT

1 Like

Hi @anon68517856 – Test Automation University has a course, Exploring Service APIs through Test Automation. It covers some API testing strategy that doesn’t require automation to be useful. It’s taught by Amber Race and totally free :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

If you’re looking for something more in depth, we have Let’s Build an API Checking Framework course.

We also have an article about Exploratory Testing API. There’s also an interesting talk Constructing an API Testing Framework with Joep Schuurkes. I’ve done a quick search on our catalog and found a few useful resources - Search Results. There’s even a 30 Days of API Testing, designed to help you improve your API testing knowledge and skills. I know there’s a meetup group doing it at the minute, so the chat on here is up to date and active. You might be able to join in!

I hope you can find what you’re looking for @anon68517856

3 Likes