30 Days of API Testing Day 3: Begin Reading an API Testing Related Book

30 Days of API Testing Day 3 task is:

Day 3: Begin reading an API testing related book and share something youā€™ve learnt by day 30

My suggestion for this book is one that I bought over a year ago because I was moving to a company where I would be testing more at the API layer. I have never finished it but what I did learn when I started reading it was incredibly useful for my role at the time. So, Iā€™m going to try read it to the end now. Itā€™s ā€œAutomating and Testing a REST APIā€ by Alan Richardson.

17 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Hello Heather, you made me smile because yesterday I picked the exact same book!
It will be interesting to know what others think of it.

2 Likes

Sounds this is something worth to read though I started API testing and learned it in a project a few years back.

1 Like

Thank you. Will share with my team as well

1 Like

Iā€™m going to sit this part of the 30 days out, as it feels like you guys are already reading potentially the best book out there for this :slight_smile:

If you all feel like you learned a lot from it, Iā€™ll look to make a recommendation to get it added to our library at work. Hopefully itā€™ll make a great addition to our resources!

3 Likes

I am reading The Way of the Web Tester by Jonathan Rasmusson.
https://pragprog.com/book/jrtest/the-way-of-the-web-tester

5 Likes

Thanks @heather_reid for the suggestion. So are you planning to complete reading the book , as part of the challenge.

Hi Heather,

I too chose this book for Day 3 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In an effort of not increasing the amount of books I currently have in my backlog I thought of reading through Katrina Clokieā€™s API, Web Services & Microservices Testing Pathway. It gathers a lot of resources on API testing and itā€™s been on my radar for a while so 30 Days of API Testing is a great opportunity to read all of it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve started to read ā€œAutomating and Testing a REST APIā€ by Alan Richardson.I agree with other participants of the challenge - this book is a good choice. Actually Iā€™m impressed by Alanā€™s manner of explaining difficult technical details with simple words.

2 Likes

Yes, I hope to. The book is very detailed so I may not finish it but if I manage to learn something more from it than I already have, I will be happy :smiley:

Any free resource that I can read !! :slight_smile:

I too went with Alan Richardsonā€™s book. I am VERY excited about it, as I have reached a very high level of curiosity about this stuff, and this book does not leave anything out.

Edit: Just throwing this out there, today on November 5th.

Alanā€™s book is 273 pages.
If you want to read it in 30 days, that is about 9.1 pages a day if you start on the 1st. So round that up to 10. That means today you should be on page 50.
If you start today, from page 1 you should read 10.92 (say 11) pages a day to be done by the end of the month.

Iā€™m going to try!

3 Likes

reading this one. it seems fine so far

My Blogpost on: Day 03 #30-days-of-testing:30-days-of-api-testing

2 Likes

Rather than a book, I decided to start a PluralSight course: Getting Started with Web API Test Automation in Java

Some recommendations from those participating on Twitter

I found an interesting book at ā€œhttps://www.safaribooksonline.comā€ for rest-api testing :partying_face:

1 Like

Aside from Heatherā€™s recommendation, Iā€™m also reading through Mulesoftā€™s ā€œUndisturbed RESTā€.

I chose this book so I can help with & add value to API design conversations - this is part of my strategy for testing upstream.

2 Likes