How are you doing?

Iā€™ve been quite positive at home and at work for almost the year, but I had a little bit of a drop at the turn of the year.

When we first went into lockdown, as with most tech companies we moved to 100% remote working. My band couldnā€™t meet up but we would still meet up over Zoom.

In the early days of remote working, especially for my team it was important that we organised time to just chat. So we would have a weekly chat about anything other than work and it was going well and giving people a lot of relief and fun. For my band our weekly Zoom calls we would play along to youtube videos of the music we were practicing and follow that up with a 30 min chat.

However in the last couple of months, my team wasnā€™t so chatty and especially in the latest lockdown. The same went for my band, the ā€œhow is everyoneā€ was being met with silence and I felt a lot of responsibility as the team leader and ā€œpositiveā€ guy to keep peoples spirits up. But I was starting to notice this year that it was just me talking and started to become paranoid wondering if the problem was actually me.So I started to feel the burden a bit.

The good thing was I talked to individuals on a 121 basis, to try and identify the problem and found a consistent theme. They were so low about the lack of personal activities that working/music was their release from that. They really didnā€™t want to be talking about what are they doing for the weekend because there was nothing to talk about. So that instantly gave me some relief identifying the problem and gave me the energy to keep going, and rather than avoid work in our social chats, embrace it.

It reminded me, for work even if youā€™re a lead you can talk to your team and colleagues if youā€™re feeling low and get help. For my band, I just keep the music going, post my own videos, buy my own music and in our Zoom calls talk more about the music to engage people.

3 Likes

Gary, I assume you have heard of NINJAM and the like? Some musos I know (Iā€™m not musical) have started buying sheet music and practising pieces from genres they would normally not play, and finding the learning of new chords to be great fun.

Well 3 hours of zoom per day zonks me out, so I know why people feat the meeting after a while. Good that you are keeping the team together. Pretty much finding that I am in that role also. Progress on work tasks is evading me also, but just have to slog on.

3 Likes

Thanks @conrad.braam . Yeah Iā€™ve been buying new music, recording videos and doing lives just to keep me out there. I havenā€™t looked into things like NINJAM or the like but I will. Thanks for the heads up.

3 Likes