How as a junior tester do you get involved in conversations related to system architecture?

A couple of questions during Ben Dowen’s (@fullsnacktester) masterclass webinar – Teamwork Makes the Full-Stack Testing, Dream Work – were focused on how to be comfortable not being involved in all architecture discussions and decisions.

U mentioned testers working in diff teams jumping in and helping. How do u manage the level of details you need to get involved in. Obviously u cant go into details for all different team and products/projects. Can u share your experiance and how you prioritize effectively? – Shalini

As a junior, Could you tell me what benefits could I come up to the software architecture phase? What tips would I take into consideration? – Georgiana Alina Tinca

Ben shared this:

“You do not have to be an expert at the layer or domain. You have a testing mindset and headspace as a tester. Bring those skills to someone else. And together you can fill the gaps. Remember that we work in teams that tend to have boundaries. It’s important that somebody is paying attention to every layer of the technology and domain. How you get involved in that is based on your capacity.”

How as a junior tester do you get involved in conversations related to system architecture?

What’s worked well?

Show the willingness to learn. Show your exploration, and experiments, ask hard interesting questions, and go beyond other’s expectations. They might see value in your thinking and want to develop you or even believe you could learn or provide feedback.