How do you call out your manager if you see they are distracted during a 1-2-1?

This one came up during @shwetaneelsharmaā€™s masterclass webinar: How To Build a Thriving QA/Testing Team With People-First Leadership.

Itā€™s something I asked.

How do you call out your manager if you see they are distracted during a 1-2-1?

You hear stories about managers turning up late for a 1-2-1 with their team members, looking at their phones/laptops and not being ā€œpresentā€. :see_no_evil:

If this has happened to you, what did you do? Or what do you wish you had done?

1 Like

It happens, and we need to be ready for it. If it happens, it quite probably means you or another team member is not ā€œtaking on tasksā€ or helping the manager to delegate.

I typically miss around a third of our 1-1 ā€œbi-weeklyā€ meetings if I know that one or both of us might be busy. It covers a multitude of sins if you just confirm your manager is free beforehand and cancelā€¦ but a good manager will remove all distractions and hold 1-1 in a separate dedicated virtual space even if we are all working from home. So it should help if you also build your own dedicated zone, it will help them build a dedicated zone?

1 Like

I like this. And hopefully for folks they have the option to do that. I think thereā€™s something about ā€œputting your head in a different physical spaceā€ when reflecting on oneself. I think it helps us reframe things and literally see things from a different angle.

Thanks for sharing, @conrad.connected.

I appreciate it depends on the relationship you have with the person, and how you both like to communicate.

When my manager has seemed distracted in the past. Iā€™ve called it out directly but not aggressively.

For example:

ā€œIs everything alright X, you seem distracted. Is this not a good time for us to chat?ā€

A nice open question, off the back of the observation. Gives them the opportunity to get focussed. Or to say that actually this isnā€™t a good time, and rearrrange when they can be present. Stuff happens, and sometimes it can take time to get into the right headspace. Particularly if youā€™ve come straight from something else.

Iā€™ve been guilty of doing the exact same thing occassionaly, and appreciated when people brought it up. Let us get the most out of the time together.

If its a regular occurence, then thats a whole other story.

1 Like

Some good points are being made above but it also depends on the situation and on the person. I very much like @flynnbops his response.

Iā€™ve seen before that some donā€™t care as much (or they show that they donā€™t, which might not be the case), so at that point I would say something like:
(This was early in my career)

Me, if they are late:

I very much like it for you to timebox your meetings, because this is a very important moment for me to reflect and if you cut the time, it makes me feel less important.

Obviously say it in a proper way so the person/manager knows that you are serious, but keep it polite. He never missed a 1-2-1 again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like @flynnbops reply as its noticing there is an issue but asking if they are ok to talk. I dont think Iā€™d have been brave enough to say @kristof 's comment :slight_smile:

I did have a manager who kept looking at the clock on the wall when we were meeting, so I switched places, then he started looking at his watch. I then asked if it was a good time as I needed to speak with him and showed him the list of things I had. I think he understood why it was important after that.

4 Likes

I was present during @shwetaneelsharmaā€™s masterclass webinar when this came up. The remote working / video call thing has made this worse but Iā€™ve had line managers who are clearly checking emails or doing other things at the same time.

My other pet hate over the years is when my 1-2-1 is moved about continually because of other ā€œimportant meetingsā€ that clash. Echoing above, for this to happen all the time does indeed make me feel unimportant. Any time I get a new line manager I try to make clear what my expectations are for 1-2-1s, so the ground rules are set from the start.

The 1-2-1s for direct reports should always be non moveable meetings in the calendar. Managers need to be be brave enough to decline other stuff for this reason. Many are not however.