How do you inspire growth and innovation in team members who are happy where they are?

This was an excellent question asked by Ann Tang during @shwetaneelsharma’s masterclass webinar: How To Build a Thriving QA/Testing Team With People-First Leadership.

What experiences have you had with this situation? How do you inspire growth and innovation in team members who are happy where they are? How did you dig deeper to reveal useful information to help you and your colleague?

2 Likes

Do these particular team members actually need to grow and innovate? Or are they already providing lots of value where they’re now?

Possibly a controversial opinion (especially since I’m a very growth-focused person myself): maybe all people don’t need to push, push, push all the time. Maybe it’s fine for them to actually enjoy the comfort and routine of sticking to their comfort zone for a bit. Maybe they don’t have the mental bandwidth for growth right now.

Perhaps there is actually a need for them to challenge themselves and grow in some ways. I’d just like to point out that before thinking about HOW to do that, it’s good to take the step back and look at the WHYs.

3 Likes

And I just realised that looking at your WHYs and their WHYs and aligning on those will eventually bring you closer to the HOW.

I very much like that framing, @baysha. Super helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Another merch idea, @simon_tomes :smiley:

• “Inspect the WHYs will bring you to the HOW”
  • Without WHY there is no HOW
    :wink: