How do you set your career goals or not?

The start of the gregorian calendar can often trigger a desire to set ambitious goals.

@cakehurstryan reminds us via this excellent post that it’s also ok not to set ambitious goals.

How about you? Are you a public goal setter or someone who likes to keep their ambitions to themselves? What tools/techniques do you use to help set career goals and ambitions?

Bonus question: How can the testing community support you?

5 Likes

That is an excellent post, the sentiment is right; no one needs to blast out the latest testing methodologies or blog posts or whatever else… but I’d personally encourage setting yourself some targets, even if they’re short term, low level, easy achieving goals as an alternative though.

1 Like

Career goals link to life goals.
So based on my life goals I know that I need:

• to spend less time on work related activities - so a career goal would be to find a remote job or contracting job;
  • to gain more money - so a career goal would be to get a promotion, switch job(country), get into consultancy, move away from testing;
  • to have less stress - so I might avoid some sort of stressful situations or work items;
  • to be engaged for several hours per day where I ‘work for money’ - so during the work time I might enhance some skills, pick my own work, do something completely new or difficult;

It’s easy to do the goals that depend on me, but the ones that depend on others are dragging me down and make me unhappy. So I just keep on dreaming.

1 Like