How does QA adapt to change strategies with DevOps emerging nowadays?

How does QA adapt to change strategies with DevOps emerging nowadays?

2 Likes

Great question @ashugupta34480!

In my opinion, it is an opportunity to integrate testers and testing throughout the construction of software products!

• Become fluent in Given-When-Then to both create and scrutinize acceptance criteria

• Participate in design reviews and advocate for testability in designs and implementations

• Testing is no longer an event. Rather it is frequent inspection points throughout product construction.

I would advocate for this approach in any methodology used to construct software products.

Joe

2 Likes

DevOps is very growing concept nowadays. We can say that DevOps continues to be referred as an approach that give support for the collaboration between Development teams and IT professionals. The main vital objective for the DevOps team is to ensure the Quality with speed, while automating software delivery and changes in the infrastructure.

If we talk about the scenarios for DevOps, the testers and developers both play a crucial role, where the quality between the developer and testerโ€™s job role gets distinctive. As, QA is built in together with development and operations that enables them to collaborate to build a bugfree/perfect application or software. Everyone who are working for the quality assurance services takes responsibility for quality and stability, and thereby for the business success.

The key aspect if we talk about in terms of code development in any top software testing companies is that the QA team pushes the new development code into production and DevOps facilitates to ensure a seamless deployment of infrastructure and tools. Thus, it helps in releasing a code on a consistent basis and the responsibility to ensure that quality is not just limited to killing the bug but built the overall application release successfully.

In most of the quality assurance companies, the idea of DevOps team is to make the developer think in line with testers and always checking the code for possible errors. On the other hand, QA also holds the responsibility to test the application/software with different testing tools & methodologies and also needs to fix the code. In this way, enterprises with an insufficient QA or testing strategy cannot ensure continuous testing and continuous delivery. So, we can say that QA needs to adapt strategies with DevOps emerging.

Hope this information is helpful for you.

4 Likes

I think it is more of a mutual thing. DevOps and QA both these days run hand in hand. In the past, DevOps was focused on factors like code reusability, quality of code, development results, and the use of the agile approach in the entire programming process. However, the introduction of QAOps into the Development lifecycle has transformed things a lot.

In my opinion, this change was extremely important considering the ever-growing competition in the industry. QAOps gives a direction to the entire development project right from the beginning making way for quality for all bits and pieces of the project build.

QAOps allows testers and developers to work in collaboration checking on every functionality and performance goal associated with the project which makes it quite compelling to foster QA into DevOps. Above all, the approach offers faster release cycles giving a huge save on costs and resources on the launch.

I would love to hear some other opinions on this or any feedback on my perspective.

1 Like

Rather madly, the small company I work with merged part of OPS with QA , and itโ€™s actually worked out really well. It has forced dev to do more of their โ€œtest ownership roleโ€, and let QA be more longer term and cross-product focused - but mostly lets all of QA โ€œmove upโ€ the stack farther and spend more time across the entire stack, than we would have .