Interview Question # 7 - How do you test a task that has no content/description, just a title?

Hi everyone :wave:t2:

During TestBash Careers yesterday, our community members suggested a few questions you can encounter when attending an interview.

As these questions will need answers, I thought: ‘what better place to ask them than at The Club?’

I’ll be creating a series of posts, one for each of the questions raised by the community, and open the discussion for you all to contribute with your thoughts and together help our fellow community members who are looking to interview (both interviewee and interviewer).

Question #7: How do you test a task that has no content/description, just a title?

• How would you answer this in an interview?
  • If you don’t know the answer, how would you tell your interviewer you don’t actually know the answer?
  • How might you reframe this question if you were to ask this as an interviewer?

think about any resource you have, might be meetings, slack threads. At the end someone has to tell you that the task is ready for you, you can invest in this resource by asking clear questions that help you to start. Think about the current application, about the logic you understand behinds the business needs for the new feature [as an end user], you can ask about your understanding for the business need if it’s correct or not/if you have concerns/ feedback or anything about it [you can talk to the PM/Task Reporter]

4 Likes

I would suggest that you wouldn’t be able to test the task, but by analysing and deconstructing the title, you should be able to create a mental model of the task and then come up with a reasonable explanation of how you would begin to test the task. Of course, no plan survives first contact with reality, so your testing effort will inevitably change once you get your hands on a real feature.

4 Likes