Is anyone an expert on ISO 29119 certification, or able to provide guidance?

I work alongside teams with very high standards who are ISO certified. One of my goals this year is to gain ISO 29119 certification to meet the same standards.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start? I have worked in a team previously where we gained IEEE 829 certification but I think this new standard is different.

Also, does anyone know, if the teams creating a software application are all iso certified, does that mean the resulting product is also “iso certified” by default?

I hope this makes sense… I apologise if not! Thank you

2 Likes

I would strongly recommend against ISO 29119 certification. From everything I hear it’s very paperwork-intensive with no real added benefit.

Here’s one resource from a very respected testing expert making the case against it–there are a number of others easily googleable. The arguments are still relevant today despite the age of the article (the standard, obviously, is just as old or older): ISO 29119 the new software testing standard – what about it? – James Christie's Blog

The “Lessons Learned in Software Testing” book by Kaner, Bach, and Pettichord also has a couple lessons on the pros and cons of one of ISO 29119’s predecessors–IEEE 829. While it’s a bit long to quote here, let’s just say that the pros “lesson” is far shorter than the cons one. I might try to summarize some of those cons, since I expect they apply to ISO 29119 as well, when I have a little more time to think about it.

6 Likes

Hello @no_coffee212
This might help:

1 Like