Looking for advice on gaining my first role as a Software Tester

(Heather) #21

I think that reflects more on the company than on you though. Good on you for asking for the feedback!

The right company is out there for you, I do believe that. I’m happy to chat and help you here or on testers.chat if you ever need it :slight_smile:

You are already a part of the community :wink: You are here, you are on testers.chat, you are asking questions, you are putting yourself out there. You are a part of this community! :heart: Don’t ever feel like you can’t join our webinars and masterclasses either. You are so welcome to do that! They’re free and you never know what you might pick up!

(Jessie) #22

I’m so sorry for the late response!
Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it!

I have actually just secured myself a full time testing role, I’m so happy.
I honestly can’t wait to start and learn as much as I can so I will definitely be signing up to any/all courses.

Thank you all for your responses, I look forward to hopefully meeting you all one day!

(Heather) #23

Amazing news! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey :tada: congratulations :grinning:

(Carolyn) #24

One way in is to to work in a user role for the business you would like to test in. They should train you up in the software system to do the job, you are then in a good position to move across to IT as a Tester of the same system. I’ve seen this happen a lot because the business experience is much harder to gain once you are a tester yet invaluable in doing the testing. Also worth networking with IT to see what roles they have. Also currently worth learning a computer language so you can get into test automation early as this is likely to be a big plus in the long term.

(Kim) #25

@sgodfrey81 Completely agree with you Simon and please do not let that thought get into your head about limitations Jessie.
I don’t have a degree and left school at 15yr. I also entered this field at a fairly mature time in my life (I will put it this way most of the teams I work with could possibly be my son or daughter :frowning: ). This sometimes has been pointed out to me by box checkers who want to lay the negative vibe on me and you will come across this, just kick their comments to the kerb.
Having said that I never gave in and work my craft as hard as I can learning everything I can. People in the technical world are usually very generous with sharing knowledge freely but please take responsibility for your own professional growth. I see some say I wont get certified or attend a conference unless my employer pays for it. Never let your employer control your professional growth, take charge of it which means saving, planning and then having the satisfaction of gaining the knowledge from your own self funded initiative. If your employer offers to pay yippee you get to spend your funds on something else, just don’t expect it.
Jessie everyone here gave you excellent suggestions and I am very happy to hear you are entering the world of software testing. If you would like please feel free to reach out to chat about anything, sometimes its great just having another person say ‘Yip that happened to me to and YES your not crazy’ lol.
I also have this blog page which is more like my personal experiences around testing with links to things I have found helpful. Feel free to have a look if you think this maybe be useful https://wordpress.com/pages/testingsoftwarerecipes.blog

Have fun and explore :vulcan_salute:

(Kim) #26

Hey Jessie, yip your devs were right following that method should eliminate kick backs with ‘Its works on my machine’ or ‘I don’t understand what your saying’ but the best one drum roll please… ‘Unable to reproduce’.
A tip before you log a bug quick check in an environment without the current code usually that would be staging or pre-prod (the environment should mirror current production) to verify the bug was introduced with the current code change.
If the bug is currently displaying in production then its something for the product owner to look at for backlog. Sometimes (depending on what is in the release) the dev team can fix the issue and included it in the current release. If the team does… make sure you take note of this for when the business is breathing down the teams neck to do magic that is impossible, a gentle reminder of how we helped them out in the past usually makes everyone see reason.
I also like to use a tool called SnagIt to capture video of me reproducing the steps (just in case my dev’s suddenly develop blindness towards reading hehe), then if I get the ‘It works on my machine’. I ask did you watch the video… usually then there is a deathly silence and it gets fixed. This happens usually only once when I first start working with a developer, after that they recognise my obsessive nature to getting things right, as best as an imperfect human can. :slight_smile:

(Venkatanarasiman) #27

Hey Jessie,
Wish you good luck on your software testing journey! I think dojo is a great starting point.
You can also get an overview of software testing by following other resources such as utest university courses and auditing MOOC courses from platforms such as Udacity, EDX and Coursera. Also follow my blog http://swtester101.wordpress.com for testing related articles.

(Luka) #28

Hi and welcome!

I would advice you to look at this video.
I like it a lot and it is in my opinion the best explanation of tester career, what you can expect and what can you look at.

Good luck and happy testing!

(Andreas) #29

That’s an awesome video! Very motivational!

I was extremely lucky to land a software tester job after graduating from college this spring. I had no experience with testing, but did major in computer information systems. I wasn’t looking for a specific job, but applied to every and all tech jobs in my town, and for some crazy reason my eagerness to learn was enough for my current employer to take a chance on me. Clearly, I have been extremely lucky, but for anyone still searching for that first tester-job, take courses, read books and blogs, and if necessary, and if you can afford the exam fee ($250), study extremely hard and grab yourself the ISTQB foundation certification. The training is expensive, but with enough studying and determination, I’m sure it’s possible to get certified without dropping loads of money. Like Alan says in the video, a lot of companies don’t value testing as highly as they should, and that in itself could potentially prove to be an advantage when looking for a testing gig.

One more thing, and I don’t have experience with this, and I know it doesn’t pay well, but websites like uTest could potentially be used to get your hands wet with some testing, which could be beneficial to have on a resume.

Also, many companies will ask for several years of experience, but don’t let that hold you back. I was very much getting in my head that it would be silly for me to even apply (having zero experience), but my wife pushed me, and I ended up getting an interview, and eventually the job. I think companies use that to weed out people that would like the job but feel under-qualified, from people that want the job and are willing to go the distance. Don’t worry about about the specifics, but rather about how you can add value to their company.