Looking for UI design/dev tools & learning sites for web applications

I’ve been dabbling with changing CSS to give me a mockup so I can be sure before the developer creates this were all on the same page for UI changes.
I’m wanting to get some skills around doing this more effectively and was wondering if anyone here does this to (usually this happens when you work within a start up team & wear many hats)?
If you are doing this where did you learn the skills and what tools have you found to be effective?
I’m a very visual person and find it easier to ref to a mockup when testing but I’m currently working in a company with no UX/UI designers? So I’m doing this now in figma & taking screenshots of CSS changes I dummy up.
Thoughts? Ideas? Comments on how mad am I :rofl:

3 Likes

Back when I was learning about web development I found this site:

It’s made by a digital agency and all courses are free, very front-end centric and focused on design as well.

1 Like

Wow, is CSS alone really the right language for actually building mockups, I assume you mean you use some HTML for the structure, so I’m guessing you are really doing the design. Yes, you are crazy, but aren’t we all. You are definitely on the right track using figma . We have a designer who uses adobe, so it’s off-limits for engineering or QA to even get to poke and interact/whiteboard. One thing I will say is be sure to not share just screenshots with the devs, because they get outdated super fast. I do wish I was in your boots though.

1 Like

Thanks and my question back to you is why are you not in my boots? Trust me do you really think people wanted me initially all in their grill asking them questions :rofl: I can tell you that’s a big negative but you cant stifle curiosity or I just get bored & you know what they say about ‘bored hands’ so I kinda keep asking the dumb questions and sooner or later someone responds. :+1:

Yip your right its HTML as well - still getting use to the lingo for another different profession I’m poking my head into.

2 Likes

This is fantastic @mirza thank you so much. I’m going to start having a look around weekend.

1 Like

Kim, I would rather have you right in my face than have a job at threat because we shipped bugs. Any day. Your energy inspires me.

Mostly I love how test engineers today are not like “let’s test this thing”, anymore but are like “let me learn how to build one of these” myself.
We are allowed to play with the tools so I we understand the developer problems and help solve them. I’m very new to web technology, but only lately found myself brave enough to speak. My one hate now is that there are too many web frameworks, all the more reason for every tester to learn to swim.

2 Likes

This isn’t a tutorial site but an exercise site, lots of good coding exercise and they get code reviewed also.
I am VERY pleased with the code reviews they do. It’s awesome and to the point. They don’t spoil the “best” answer but give you hints.
Now I’m looking at the site I don’t see CSS on it … but there are alternatives to this site like: https://www.frontendmentor.io/

3 Likes

Thanks so much another site to investigate this weekend. :+1:

2 Likes