Javascript courses specifically for testers?

It looks like Javascript/JS courses on Udemy, Lynda, Pluralsight etc. are meant for web developers. Some of them spend a lot of time in doing front end projects. But, I am looking a course which only covers topics & projects that are relevant to software testing.

There is one (free) course on Udemy, but it is by an obscure instructor with unflattering reviews. I don’t want to waste my time on such courses. There is also a MOT course. But, it lacks depth and breadth.

Please suggest some Javascript courses which are for testers, cover JS in sufficient depth and breadth, and are made by reputable instructors.

Thank you !

2 Likes

Hi Raghu, how about this one - https://testautomationu.applitools.com/automating-in-the-browser-using-javascript/ delivered by the one and only Alan “Evil Tester” Richardson. I’ve not been through it myself but if it’s anything like his book “Java for Testers”, he’ll be getting you working on practical exercises from the outset that will enable you to pick up the knowledge you need by practice rather than reading.
There’s a lot of other resources available on that site, some specific javascript framework courses too so definitely worth a look. There may well be courses on Pluralsight too and you can get a ten-day free trial.

3 Likes

There are practical exercises with Marks course too here in the Pro only area on The Club as a friendly add on to this :slight_smile:

1 Like

@heather_reid - thanks. Where can I get the links for those practical exercises ?

They’re at the bottom of each of the lessons that they are linked to in the “Lesson Resources” section e.g.

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 19.39.41

If you follow through the videos in sequence, the exercises will all link together to give you challenges to explore and some reflection exercises too. Mark, the course instructor, is also available in The Club area for the course if you have any questions.

1 Like

@heather_reid - thanks. how do we ask the instructor questions ? I went to the sub-forum for that course, but it does not allow me to post any questions there.

There is an activity for each lesson, you can ask a question in the lesson activity that you have a query about. Alternatively, you can click on the instructor and you should be given the option to “Message” which will send them a private message.

1 Like

Hi, just to mention that Pluralsight is free all April, so worth a visit as soon as possible

There is another new course on TAU that is an Introduction to JavaScript:

1 Like

Hi, I personally think it’s worth learning Javascript as a developer would. The thing with coding is the more practice you get the better, so doing all those front end projects will help you in the long run. You can chose to do your own projects instead from the topics/concepts taught.

Just saw this course but i haven’t done it: https://www.udemy.com/course/javascript-for-qa-engineers-and-sdets/learn/lecture/14459062?start=0#overview

This course was good, i learnt a lot from it: https://www.udemy.com/course/the-complete-javascript-course/learn/lecture/22649037?start=75#overview

For Typescript, this is also did: https://www.udemy.com/course/understanding-typescript/learn/lecture/16935762#overview

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m with you on this one. I’m really not getting the whole “XXXX” for testers thing that I see pop-up all the time. Javascript is javascript. It doesn’t change all of a sudden based on who’s using it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the course links.

I think we need to focus on what is necessary for our role as a QA in general. There are several things we could learn, but if its not needed for core QA work, then we are likely to forget them. Delving too deep into things which are incidental to our work is a bad use of our time. I learned a bit about Jenkins just so that I can use it as a QA. I don’t try to learn it like a DevOps engineer would, because that level of knowledge is not useful to me as a QA. I learn SQL, but I don’t try to become a DBA or Data analyst.

The problem with doing too many front end focused projects just to learn JS, is that you’d also have to spend time on things like HTML, CSS etc., unless you only use rudimentary html/css. I don’t know any courses which use only basic html/css/etc. and focus more on the JS. As a QA who wants to master JS, I don’t want to spend too much time on display ports, flex boxes etc.

Consider the opposite of your point, i.e. should all developers learn about testing “the way” QAs would? Should devs master one or more QA tools even if its hardly or never required for their work?

@hylke - What do you think about this?

2 Likes

Hi @anon68517856 , I’d say it’s like having access to a Workshop when you learn as a developer would vs having access to only a tool box if you focus on topics someone has selected as for testers only. You can learn as a developer but apply it as a tester. Developers also do focus on what’s useful to them, i don’t think all developers try to learn about every framework thats out there.

I would pick a developer that learnt testing as a tester would over a developer that only learns about unit testing. Developers would be much better testers if they learnt as testers do, i think

I get that energy, and at the same time, often the Developer focused course don’t go into enough depth about Testing.

So it’s often useful to do the Developer forced stuff as well. But when you can find a good testing focused course, they are super useful.

I’m yet to find any training that is aimed at Testers that is better then the courses on TAU.

2 Likes

Greetings!

I was reading through this thread and wondered what kind of information about JavaScript is considered specifically for Testers or testing.

I see a few links to courses and there are many more but my sense from those courses, as has been mentioned, is that they teach some programming (probably not enough IMO) and how to use JavaScript to deliver a functioning product. Is that the information that is specific to Testers?

For example, as a Tester, I might want to be able to read the code (JavaScript, C#, etc.) so that I can determine what it does. What else is considered “specifically” for Testers?

Joe

1 Like