Learning Basic Java

Hi,
I’m trying to find the most appropriate Java course(s) for Test Engineers to support with Step Definition creation for Cucumber features. Does anyone have any recommendations for both UK and offshore teams

1 Like

Hi
The last sentence, I am not so sure of, sorry!
Are you looking for a course for your team?

Cucumber alone doesn’t do much. For example, my current project has this stack:
Maven-Java-Junit5-Cucumber-WebDriver
I’ve read the OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION for all of these. So, I have what’s called in the academe as “intuition” - I can approach new problems with some existing knowledge on what tends to work and enough knowledge on things I can try to get the project done, or perhaps come back to the customer and explain why what they want cannot be done with Cucumber, or - shouldn’t be! :slight_smile:

Before that, I tried some “all in one” courses and they are ridiculous. Give you no intuition, just basic words around an existing project, which you can copy paste as long as it works and you are stuck, when it doesn’t!

I have not experienced this course but it is from the horses mouth. So, it would be my first try, if I were looking to pick up Cucumber: Cucumber Documentation - Cucumber Documentation

Good luck and keep us posted!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. We already use Cucumber with Java/Selenium ‘in house’ but many of our test engineers can write the Cucumber Features but need to gain basic Java knowledge in order to code the step definitions. As you have said there are many generic courses, but it is quite specific what our requirements are :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want something more bespoke you may need to pay for specific training.

That being said some TAU courses that might be useful:

Hope these give you some ideas.

2 Likes

Test Automation University has a free online course for Java:

2 Likes

TAU has multiple free java courses, and some of them are very good. Udemy also has free java courses.

2 Likes