Masterclass Further Discussion - Testing and Quality: Correlation does not equal Causation

Tonight we were joined by the very talented @tneate join us for a masterclass exploring testing, quality and how to build quality in. This ties in brilliantly with a discussion I saw happening on Slack today and I’m eager to see what insights Theresa has to share with us :grin:

As always, the recording of the masterclass will be available to MoT Pro members in the masterclass section .

If we didn’t get to your questions tonight or you’d like to continue the conversation you can ask them here.

I’m particularly interested in hearing which part of the masterclass resonated with you the most?

Theresa answered a lot of questions but we didn’t manage to get to them all so I’ve transferred the unanswered ones here:

1. Do you think automated acceptance test/checks are best written by developers, testers or collaboratively between developers and testers? Or alternatively should developers write their own sets of acceptance tests and testers write another set of independent tests?
  2. Feature migration testing - how to do it? No documentation + only AC it should work as previously, as it s on production now

Do you think automated acceptance test/checks are best written by developers, testers or collaboratively between developers and testers? Or alternatively should developers write their own sets of acceptance tests and testers write another set of independent tests?

My answer: (almost) always collaboratively. Speaking of collaboration, did you know that 2 of the 5 devops success criteria, are “Culture” and “Sharing”? DevOps Culture (Part 1) - IT Revolution

1 Like

Feature migration testing - how to do it? No documentation + only AC it should work as previously, as it s on production now

If I understand your question correctly, then I will assume that you are talking about migrating features? From where to where? From one production environment to another (newer) one?

If there are no other documentation and you only have acceptance criteria, then your ACs are a form of documentation. But there would be some return on investment, if you were to also explore the (older) system and determine some oracles for expected behaviour. Here’s a great article (and btw, it’s a great course), on oracles: http://www.testingeducation.org/BBST/foundations/OracleHeuristicsLab6b.pdf

1 Like