My new download page design: <3 or đŸ’©?

Hello dear MoTties / MoT Ninjas,

I work on my product called Dashcam - a tool for testers to capture bugs and repro steps on the fly.

I saw (through analytics) a lot of confused people navigating the website; they would get to the download page and then click away quickly.

so I took some time and redesigned it:

New layout with (hopefully) improved approach: check it out

Old page for comparison:

:pray: I would love to hear any feedback you might have on the new redesign.

Can you spare a minute and let me know your thoughts? Which one do you like better and what can I do to improve further?

thank you so much y’all!

Problems:

• Your link is broken as it refers to /downloadS but it is /download
  • Why is the Mac link gone? Your main site says it its available

IMO, my first impression and thoughts:

• By that icon on the button on your main site https://www.dashcam.io I expect it to be the download link.
  • More advertisement at the Download section? 
 Please move that short video to your main page (make it the first, bevor the long one) and keep the Downloads clear.

About the old one:

• Someone found the Download section, which I expect to be technically skilled when he is interested in your product, and you explain him explicitly what this buttons are for? When there is already a header saying “Download Dashcam”? This makes me mad. How dump did/does your company expect your customers to be???

My general suggestions:

• Use the old page and remove the sentence. Who ever wants to have your app, wants it by now and do not needs advertisement.
  • Add requirements like minimum supported OS versions and hardware. This is important to know!
  • Also you can add the information about the size of the download. Do I get 5 MB or 500MB? Also important!
1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback

I made a mistake when I linked the page - like you noted it should have been download and not downloadS. That’s on me!

I like the suggestion about the size of the download and the requirements like minimum supported OS version and hardware!

I also like that you don’t want to see a video, I find this 50/50 - some people would say it reinforces the product’s core strength and others would think it’s useless. I think you’re right I will remove it.

BTW the Mac OS version download is available when you browse from Mac, and is hidden when you browse from Windows.

Did you encounter that it wasn’t available for your platform when you browsed?

As I’m used to always see all download options, I was irritated that your main page says Mac/Windows and I saw only Windows (having a Windows PC).
By that I had the impression that your side was broken.

I suggest to always show both/all options and let the user choose.

Also there can be different reasons why someone downloads all options from one OS.
E.g. putting them into a distribution system which shares it automatically to all users.

1 Like

Couple of things you could improve
Add a skip link to jump past your top menus
Improve visual keyboard focus, especially on your main page
Keyboard navigation disappears when you tab through the top menu as it is going down the sub menus and they should be activated by the arrow keys
Top dashcam logo has no alternative text making it an empty link

2 Likes

That makes sense; thank you!
I’ve changed a couple of things based on your recommendation!

Thanks, I definitely need to improve accessibility of our page! Unfortunately I didn’t think of all these things, I have to look up a “cheat-sheet” of some sorts

1 Like

Hi @okdashcam - all the above comments could also or maybe have caught by your own product? Have you tried it? :wink:

Or try this tool called Headlamp: https://headlamptest.com/

Good luck.

Oh, just because it was mentioned with the download button, while I am viewing this via a Macbook I only am shown the download for Mac, but if I would search something for a coworker who might be using a Windows machine I would think - oh, only for MacOS
 :frowning:

So why not let the user decide what kind of software he/she can download
?

On a widescreen, there is a LOT of whitespace on the sides :stuck_out_tongue:

This is only on a 42’

Honestly, I was confused. I saw ‘Download Dashcam’ and not the text in the red box below on my screenshot. I was looking around a bit and I legit thought; why is this ‘dashcam software on here’
Dashcam as in
 a camera in your car :stuck_out_tongue:

Eventually I read the text in the red box and knew it was about software testing. So for me that part didn’t stand out much.

Imho it’s also a very confusing term ‘dashcam’ since it’s basically a car camera.
Which gets to your point here:

I basically think people click away because they are probably google Dashcams (car camera’s) and find something totally different on your website, hence they click away.

1 Like

That’s a very widescreen monitor :smiley: I will see what I can do design wise!

It’s the best marketing when you can explain the software with less than 1 sentence IMHO

Maybe true, but most of my traffic comes from word of mouth and advertising, so I believe it has to do with something else, maybe your initial point about the red box
gotta make it more obvious that the Dashcam is for your computer!

Thanks for the feedback, it’s great stuff!

It’s hard to see your own mistakes when you stare at them all day
that’s why I asked here for feedback, I love to see other people’s perspectives!

Thanks for sharing your feedback about the download button - I have got a ticket to fix it in the upcoming website release so it won’t be as tricky to download the Windows installer on Mac and vice-versa!