Name a non-testing related activity that improved your testing?

Hi all,

I’m curious to know different activities that can help us as testers even that are not directly related to testing?

Here’s a thread that I wanted to share here

2 Likes

That’s most likely gaming for me. I like non-linear RPG games where you have to think strategically and pay attention to details in order to get the best outcome.

2 Likes

Interesting! I also love using games that help us understand and improve our ideas from a tester perspective :star_struck:

+1 for gaming. My Wife and I are now playing a game called “Moving Out”. You play as a mover helping to put items from a house into a moving truck. It requires you to work as a team, communicate and prioritise to complete the challenges. All things that fit into development!

2 Likes

When I read murder mysteries, I find myself searching for clues, or attempting to connect bits of information to solve themystery. Sometimes, application behaviors and their associated bugs needed detective-like work to resolve the bugs.

Joe

3 Likes

Reading non-fiction books while thinking “how would this apply to testing?”.

Learned many things this way! Most notable book I discovered this way is Thinking, Fast and Slow (no surprise for the people who know me).

3 Likes

Boardgames with puzzle solving and strategy elements both PvP and Coop is a great way to hone your testing skills.
PC/Console games with puzzles and that use detail focus are great too.
Lots of reading to increase your knowledge and vocabulary.
Escape Rooms - A thing about lockdown I miss intensely but there are some online ones and some boardgames that do a good job of recreating the feeling of escape rooms.

3 Likes