Not able to install RPA Library in Robot Framework

Get the most out of asking a question.

• Is the topic title a question? No

• Does the topic title include a “question mark”? No

• What are you asking of the community?
    I am trying to install RPA library in my robot framework file, by using pip install rpaframework, but am getting the below error

ERROR: Failed building wheel for pendulum
    Failed to build pendulum
    ERROR: Could not build wheels for pendulum, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects

I tried going through google and used some AI tools as well, there doesn’t seem to be a solution

• How can they help you?

Guide me in installing rpaframework library in Robot framework

• What context can you share to increase the likelihood of someone replying to your question?
1 Like
  1. Did this work before, what changed?
  2. Which guide did you use and on what platform are you attempting to do this, and which version of robot framework and python do you have installed?

Just trying to head off the obvious questions, I last used robot about 17 years ago, so sorry unable to help at a practical level myself.

1. As per the documentation, mentioned in the RPAFramework library, One just need to run pip install rpaframework

2. rpaframework · PyPI and RPA Framework — RPA Framework documentation is the guide am using

I am using Pycharms IDE, Robot framework : 7.0 , Python 3.12.1 and am using windows 11

getting slightly involved , against my better judgement here, but it’s quite possible that the package is unmaintained because robot is not a very popular tool these days… But… have you tried installing the dependencies for the module manually first and then trying again?

let me try that from my end , thanks.

Sorry am not that tech proficient, by module, did you mean rpaframework ?

I did not want to get involved, but I use python a fair deal and the “pendulum” module is a dependency of the rpa module. Sometimes it’s enough to manually install all the requirement module(s) just to get a module that was badly packaged working again. It’s never just one module though.
Mostly, if you are not familiar with pip and dependencies, it gets super time consuming to do because not everything is backwards compatible and you may have to try a few different approaches and actually crack open the code. You are better off joining a robot f/w user forum and getting clues there for exact versions, run:

pip freeze

and you will see what I mean by complexity of problem - you will probably want to do this all using a virtual environment and not touch your “installed” python packages because you will have to re-install python if you upgrade a package too far for example or if you install a conflicting package by mistake. Hence find a dedicated user group online is my best advice.