Online meetup - How would you describe testing?

In this activity we want you to share your teams descriptions of what you feel testing is

A method of providing product confidence

Confirming the functionality meets the requirements

1 Like

Testing is … subjective, user focused, meets requirements, anticipating barriers, identifying, learning, looking beyond what’s expressed and looking, opportunities for improvement, measuring value against expectations, informative.

2 Likes

Both checking the correctness of the software against given requirements and common expectations as wellas communicating those results to stake holders.

Process of satisfying user expectations, meets requirements, looking for unknown errors

Process of determining functionality meets the requirements of the end user, quickly and efficiently

Accelerate the shippable quality of the software

(It’s hard to put into words!!!)

Its an information gathering exercise in order to gain decision making properties

1 Like

Meets the users expectations in terms of requirements.
The user experience is worthy. Ensures information is correct by communicating with the stakeholders

2 Likes

Definition

Software testing is a process, to evaluate the functionality of a software application with an intent to find whether the developed software met the specified requirements or not and to identify the defects to ensure risk assesment and limitation since ‘defect free’ is not feasible, in order to produce the quality product. Test techniques include the process of executing a program or application with the intent of finding software bugs (errors or other defects), and verifying that the software product is fit for use.

1 Like

WiP…

Testing is… discovering information for ourselves whilst taking information from our customers (who knows how it works) whilst not annoying them so they continue to pay the bills!

2 Likes

Have an impact on the project. Put your thoughts and opinions about how the project is going, how the user stories might work or not work?
Quicker interaction with the development team, a more shift left working strategy
Breaking sh*t :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

breaking sh*t and reporting how you managed to break it, so it can be fixed to prevent breaking it in the same way again :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My descriptions of testing that I mentioned:

• Testing as a verb relates to testing as an activity - testing is a range of activities to investigate the object being tested, to uncover information about it or confirm expectations about it, and ultimately assess it’s quality.
  • Testing as a noun is an instance of testing - a test - which for the confirmatory side of testing relates to a check, and for the investigative side of testing, I see it being relatable to a test idea. An instance of a test has a lifecycle too.
  • Testing as an adjective relates to the emotive experience of something being challenging - e.g. my son was testing my patience earlier, or these are very testing times.

Regarding the subjectivity of testing, I mentioned that we naturally (within testing and many of our organisations) have a level of intersubjectivity, which means that there tends to be a shared agreement, consensus or understanding through collaboration on what is meant by the term “testing”. In our organisations, that tends to flow through documents such as test strategies that define the what, why, where, when, who and how of our planned testing within the context of the org.