Rapid testing of a new website

Scenario: A new website has been created - mostly content.
Goal: Prior to functional users going in and reviewing site -quickly find the following:

1. Broken links.
  2. Javascript errors
  3. Lighthouse scores (json file provides detailed info for Performance, Accessibility, Best Practices and SEO)

Background: Right now, I utilize Python and npm lighthouse to collect the aforementioned information. Normally just read in the sitemap and check each page. npm Lighthouse provides a json file which can be loaded into Python.

Questions:

1. Are there other things that can be rapidly tested not listed above.
  2. Tools that persons use that provide similar functionality.

Thanks,

John Miller

1 Like

Testing for accesibility comes to mind, you can use free tools like Wave.

Normally, I would steer away from a “content mostly” website testing job. Performance is always going to be a vector impossible to follow, and for me forcing full “ownership” by the content creators is probably the best place to add QA value. Unless you are part of that team and cycle, and want to attend all their meetings, show the developer the tools and move onto areas like forms and flows as quickly possible.

1 Like

Well, at least someone in your company cares. In a previous role, I remember having an argument with the CTO because if the company introduced a new online tool or upgraded the website, I’d take ten minutes to smoke test it and report back any obvious defects. I was told that it wasn’t my job to do that; I was there to test stuff the in-house devs created and nothing else.

Then we bought an online training tool which had one of the worst typos I’ve ever seen in a big-font text over the top of an inspiring message from the CEO. “Surely we’ve not actually paid for this?” I asked. But no-one had done acceptance testing on the tool, otherwise they’d have spotted that it actually wasn’t possible to complete the first module and progress to the second because of a show-stopper bug that hadn’t stopped the show.

(The typo was so bad - “sailers” rather than “sailors” - and so prominent that a CEO in a previous role I was in would have sacked the person responsible on the spot.)

3 Likes
  • Check every page for consistency of fonts etc
  • Verify on multiple browsers and responsiveness of pages
  • Check for content-related mistake , like spelling mistakes etc.
  • Check footer and if links are working etc.
1 Like

Mainly, it’s like, be sure to “communicate”, if marketing are running AB trials and are producing 2 copies of most content, you want to be testing that both copies get coverage for example. Ask more questions to get a clue about what matters to the client. Every task a tester does is about communicating knowns, and communicating unknowns; to someone who cares.

2 Likes

This is imo quite next to the source.
More general phrased it would be: Broken functions

This might not just be because of JavaScript but also du to server issues.
APIs might be one detail, but still not everything. Think about Business logic and data triggering different code.

Often a website (aside static websites) is not just what you have in your browser, but also what happens at the back (end :wink:).

edit: not all problems pop up as explicit errors. Many aren’t very verbose and you really have to look carefully.

2 Likes

Hey Matt,

Looking at your query, I think the information that you have received in the context of modern testing must be incomplete. Modern testing is all about an approach that can remove the vague testing practices that can affect the release time and add unnecessary costs to the projects.

As far as I know, the QA industry is blooming. More and more organizations that are indulged in IT consulting services like software development, application building, or enterprise solutions are looking forward to testing for stable and scalable solutions. I am surprised to see how a platform like Yahoo could come up with information that could risk the future of technology.

Yes, we can witness automation taking more space in modern testing while test cases are more confined to essential and most significant aspects of the products, the failure of testing as a part of the Software Development Lifecycle sounds outrageous. The world does need Quality Assurance and software testing services!

1 Like