SQL Mgtation Test Strategy

Being ‘gifted’ the task or writing a test strategy for a SQL migration / upgrade. Any skeletons out there I could use as a staring point. As this is new ground for me :slight_smile:

Or even a STARTING pont. But I could stare at it I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is it you are migrating/upgrading within the world of SQL?

Is it the server itself, and likely Microsoft SQL Server?
Is it the database?
Are you doing an ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) from a database into an EDW (Enterprise Data Warehouse) to allow more convenient reporting?

As depending on what is being done, you might need to test if old and new perform the same, if any web pages call the new database just as they did the old one, that all the data in the former database were copied over to the new one, those type of things.

As you might guess, I work with SQL a lot, and done a mix of dataabse testing, and server upgrades, hence trying to probe what is it you’re having to test.

1 Like

Thanks Lee, have sent you a reply. The depth of my knowledge so far is that it is SQL migration from Window 2008 to Windows 2016 (and associated applications). Will no more detail once I get up and running tomorrow

1 Like

Hello @jfs17uk!

We did a similar project a few years ago. I recall we made use of the Redgate tool Data Compare (compares schemas between database servers) and SQL Data Compare (compares data between database servers).

Joe

In my brief experience of upgrades its good to get a list of all the available endpoints as well as any module that might be building that database. Post change you can verify these remain unaffected (consider build time as well as functional stuff). There are also tools available for measuring performance of sql actions, but i’m afraid I cant recall any to mind immediately.

Good luck though, do share what you piece together.

Many thanks! Will certainly share what I eventually create :slight_smile:

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Thanks for that, appreciated

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Hi Joe,

You wouldn’t happen to have a skeleton Test Strategy from it that I could take a look at?

Hello @jfs17uk!

I don’t have one I could publish but I have some high level test ideas.

We evaluated the database migration using the Redgate tools (verify database structure is the same, verify a handful of data), and we evaluated the ability of applications using that database (connection to the new database for all environments). As I recall, we found one defect when the migration went to the wrong database server.
There was some effort to exercise workflows where the database was used but not exhaustive. It was a bit of energy locating connection strings in the applications. Where we could, we added some automation.

Joe