TestBash Leadership 2022 - Next Level Leadership with Dave Harrison

This talk takes Daveā€™s 25 years of prior experiences with being promoted into different leadership levels and roles and communicates the lessons learned, things to watch out for, and how leadership ā€˜scopeā€™ can expand or contract given the leadership opportunity that one find themselves.

Weā€™ll use this Club thread to share resources mentioned during the session and answer any questions we donā€™t get to during the live session.

Questions Answered Live:

1. @deborahreid: What do you know now, that you would tell yourself back at the beginning of your leadership journey?
  2. @HannaJohansson: Which are the ā€œprincipal test engineer rolesā€ that you introduced before they became mainstream?
  3. @trangbt278: Which factors do you often use to make decision on testing tool sets such as test management tools, automation tools, test strategy?
  4. @KaneHutchinson: Do you think everyone should go through that period of half managing and half time still testing?
  5. @chopper : Did you ever find yourself struggling to let go of some of the day to day testing to focus more on leadership?
  6. @HannaJohansson: Would be great to get some references, on things to read/watch concerning that ā€œnon-ambiguousā€ communication! Definitely something I need to get better at!

Questions Not Answered Live:

1. Anonymous: Ever worked with a direct report whose performance peaks & troughs - What did you do?

Links mentioned in Chat:

I think the most important consideration to start regarding this question is: View the performance/goals and objectives management process with team members as a 52 week-a-year process. Set that expectation from the beginning. We strive to make each team memberā€™s g&o very clear and something that is easy to agree to. From there, if we do observe someone not meeting expecations, we discuss with them the variance from their agreed-upon-path to achieving G&O. That may sound simplistic, but we believe in this process very strongly. We donā€™t save negative or corrective feedback until the end of year; that happened to me early in my career and couldnā€™t believe that MONTHS would have passed between the time I did something that needed feedback, and when I actually received it.

1 Like