Testing an ELearning Website

Hi,

Anyone here has been involved in testing an E-Learning website ? I will be interviewing for technical round of interview as tester for an E-Learning website. It will be helpful if anyone can give some pointers on that.

I haven’t had a chance to test e-learning website, but I’ve used Udemy and EDX for learning so I can assume some of the key functionalities and give you some general directions:

• User registration and login - as with most websites that have registered users, check if you can successfully make an account an log in, check forms for common validation messages (invalid email format, password too short, etc.). Also check whether logged in user can access login page, and if logged out user can access pages that should be accessible only to logged in users.

• How are e-learning lessons/courses accessed - does the user have to buy them individually or there is some kind of paid subscription plan? Whatever it is, check that flow well since it’s most likely key for website business side (it brings them revenue).

• Depending on functionality how e-learning lessons progress, you’d want to check whether user is allowed to skip some lessons or not.

• Check if learning progress is saved once user logs out, and if it can be resumed after user logs in again

You likely won’t have enough time to test everything in detail so first focus on things you can test quickly and key site functionality.

2 Likes

In order provide best quality assurance services while testing an ELearning Website following things should be kept in mind:

1. Video players: An ELearning website usually post videos to provide content to the users. So, the video player should be tested properly that they are loading correctly on all browsers. If there is any requirement of plugin, so while loading video player a pop-up should be available to install that plugin.

2. Cross browser testing: The website should be checked on all the supported browsers and platforms.

3. Mobile devices: Website should be tested on Mobile devices like I-pad, Android and windows devices.

4. Functionality testing of Website: All dynamic pages like registration, contacts, queries should be checked with all positive and negative values.

5. Payment gateway: Elearning website involves pre-payment to access some premium content. So, users are redirected to payment page. This should be tested as well.

6. Load testing: We should checking the performance of the website with heavy load of users. This will give an idea how website perform in real time.

7. Security check: Test by pasting internal URL directly into the browser address bar without login. Internal pages should not open.

Apart from above points, we should also check for:

• There should be a Query/Feedback mechanism for all the courses available on any Elearnign website, where the users are able to ask questions which the administrator or other users can provide response. Also many have the email id also associated, so that any update on there queries are directly received on there emails.
  • Many E learning sites have the exercises area as well, if so then that also needs to be tested on high priority (esp for software courses)

Hope this information is helpful for you.

2 Likes

It’s worth researching LMS’s (Learning Management Systems) as this is often core to elearning websites.

1 Like