Testing the error "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server"

I have recently started monitoring error emails related to a web app that I test.

The error below, is a new one for me, and I am looking for ways that I can test on what impact, if any this may be having on the users of that app.
## Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET
State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote
machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters
\AllowRemoteConnection. If the server is on the local machine, and if the before mentioned registry
value does not exist or is set to 0, then the state server connection string must use either ‘localhost’ or
‘127.0.0.1’ as the server name.

The error was happening intermittently but has become more common recently.

I noticed the error happening while I was monitoring, so I did some tests through the front end to see if there would be any noticeable problems when exercising the functionality the way an end-user would.

Tips for tests or tools to narrow to determine that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Noreen

2 Likes

I think the last thing you mentioned puts you on the right track. You should look for any XHR calls that check the session. One guess is that it would have the name session in it. Check if there are any 500 or 403 errors.
An understanding of the app infrastructure would go a long way here, but 2 things come to mind for me:

1. Devops need to check on the SessionState server to see if there’s an issue or maybe needs a restart

2. Maybe there was an OS update that’s causing a hitch in the session process

1 Like