I have been doing this a lot, reading application code base. Ours is in Python, so its lot readable. And it helps and support my testing. I am not a very technical person, still it helps.
I noted down some of the benefits that I experienced below in bullet points.
If you have anything else that you enjoyed. please let me know by your comments.
I wanted to ideally put all these in to a blog post.
- this helps to be sure of that, the code has been pushed in to the right feature/sprint branch that I am suppose to deploy to my test env.
- It helps while you form the test strategy of your code /release cycle -by knowing what all files have changed
- it speed up the validation checks - by seeing all those if/else statements dev might have put
- it helps to shift your testing to the left - by giving early feedbacks
- it helps to improve the Test automatability - by asking dev to add easy locators techniques etc if it missing