The One Question Every Tester Should Answer When Automating API Tests

Ministry of Testing launched a LinkedIn newsletter at the start of 2023. Each newsletter article has got a lot of attention which is awesome. Each one celebrates someone in the community who has produced something that’s been published on the MoT platform. Written by me or @sarah1 – based on our own interpretations and experiences.

So I thought, why not bring them onto The Club to spark conversations, share ideas, celebrate and debate? Here’s the first one that’s helpful for anyone new to software testing.

When writing a test/check for an API scenario it’s easy to create a negative test. For example, it’s important to test something that checks for a different response to a HTTP 200 OK success status response code. But where do you stop? How far down the rabbit hole of test scenarios do you go? What is a good enough number of permutations for each response code?

There’s an opportunity to avoid thinking in terms of coverage. Instead, here is the one question to ask when automating API tests.

What risks are these API tests mitigating?

What things might threaten the value of the API? How important are these risks and what impact might they have? Capture risks and use risks to guide essential permutations. Being deliberate and targeted goes a long way. There’s no need to feel obligated to automate every permutation to attain a mythical coverage metric such as test cases automated or code paths covered.

@mwinteringham shares more on this topic and includes a helpful example in his excellent article: Should You Create Automation For Each Negative API Scenario? :page_facing_up:

How about you, what one question would you ask when automating API tests?

4 Likes

Oftentimes it is difficult to pinpoint all the obvious or not so obvious risks related to API that are handed to you as a tester from the Dev’s.

In my practice, once a developer completes the development of a certain API we then conduct a DevBox, which is essentially a demo of the functionality of what was created. One thing that I always do is record the DevBox so I can check back in on the discussion held to double down on the important points that were stated or simply revise the whole thing just to make sure I understand every bit of what it does and how it’s done perfectly.

Gaining a solid understanding of the functionality and letting it sit with me for a while helps me in understanding and potentially discovering all or new use cases for the API, where I get to see the not-so-obvious risks related to it and design the test to accommodate those.

My two cents to the bank, in short, are: Get to know the API, let it marinate in your mind for a while and look it again. You will be surprised by the amount if potential risks and use cases you will manage to come up with.

2 Likes