Too Many Bugs in Production - What Are We Going to Do? with Melissa Fisher

It was a whole team effort across the business. With any change, there will be people that are happy and others more resistance. It takes a bucket full of patience to change. You can’t do these things on your own. You need a team with a diverse range of perspectives to succeed.

1 Like

ohhh, thhat’s a question @fullsnacktester I can’t think of a specific example. It was a number of years ago I was in this role. However, it was a common scenario where we didn’t know the full extend to the bug, we got maybe one customer report it and then ALL customers started shouting about it. Have you got an example you can share?

1 Like

Well, it’s going to affect your customer retention, which plainly means that your customers won’t stay with you. It’s also about keeping your customers as well as gaining new ones.

1 Like

Hey @kashqa Why do you feel we need to encourage edge cases to a suite? If you can explain the reason why you need to, then you’ll be able to convince your team.

Hey @louise.barnesuk , ohhh good question! I wouldn’t say this didn’t work, but we did have a very heavy regression suite. We should have evolved this a bit to be a risk based approach, however, there was nervousness in the team due to the countless issues we have had in the past. Do you have any examples of test improvements that didn’t work?

Hey Penny, I still use the ones I outline in my talk today. I do take them as a conversation starter, rather than paying toooo much attention to them.

1 Like

Hey Simon,
We had a “pool” team where this responsibility was rotated amongst the three teams. In this team we would do any ad hoc work and priority issues. This allowed the other teams to focus on their sprint work.

Yes, I agree with your point @dfsqe It is all context dependent. My talk is around my specific experience. Like with any experience/tips & tricks/techniques, you have to take what works for you.

1 Like

I’m a big fan lately of asking questions in company all hands about revenue. I honestly don’t care how much money itself we make, but by showing I’m interested in who our customers are, and how much it’s costing us to acquire new customers (I mean anyone who has not lost hundreds of customers during 2019 is talking enough bullshit to set off Maaike Brinkhoff’s BS detector and melt it down!!). This gives you room to thus ask what engineering can possibly do to stem the tide of customers leaving? We all know it takes 4x more effort to acquire a customer as it does to simply retain them. There is always one small thing engineering can do to retain customers.

1 Like

If you are on MOT Pro, or you did register/attended TestbashHome '21 , I suspect, that this link should work to the talk Too Many Bugs in Production - What Are We Going to Do? | MoT

For everyone looking for @maaike.brinkhof and the Bullshit-detector 2000 talk it’s here I think it’s free to all :