YouTube Short: "Why didn't QA spot this?"

Ahoy MoT Club!

My latest video is out, where I talk about “Why didn’t QA spot this?”, and my thoughts on the statement.

4 Likes

unavailable - did you take it down? or is embedded play not working?

I can watch it and 100% agree.
It looks like many people still have a mindset of industrial production - assuming that every stage of production only hands over good work results to the next one (sorting out garbage by their own). Developers did perfect work, but the testers failed. :person_shrugging:

Bugs might have been found, but it was decided not to fix them because of other priorities!

1 Like

Maybe open the YouTube Video outside of the club, in an extra browser tab? Link => Have you ever been asked "Why didn't QA spot this?" - YouTube

Yep - see this all the time. Always a case of ‘ownership’. In my team - we win as a team and fail as a team, it is not down to one person, but a breakdown in process.

However I have responded to a stroppy manger before and asked “Why did a developer write the code to fail like that” - tongue in cheek of course :wink:

2 Likes

Too true! I’ve been on the wrong side of this one more than once.

In one case it was Ye Huge Customer Nobody Wanted Upset - they were very insulting (offering to send the test team for high school equivalent qualifications!) but they used a custom configuration that nobody in the test team knew about. Unfortunately, in that configuration, one feature broke immediately. It worked fine in the normal configuration which every other customer used.

End result: we got a set of their data and tweaked our automation to work with it so we wouldn’t be embarrassed that way again.

Another case was something that only came up with the site under load, something that couldn’t be accurately simulated by a load test.

The cases I truly hate are where I test something, verify it’s working properly, then a change later in the sprint breaks the feature testing I did and it’s not caught because I didn’t have the time/space to go back and retest.

3 Likes

Argh 'Why didn’t QA spot this?" Fingerpointing creates a blame culture. It can be more useful to reframe the question as “How can we improve our quality processes?”. On the flip side, what about all the things that QA did spot? Do we not get credit for those?

Yes, it is possible for QA to spot it on one condition. Give them infinite time to test and resources to do so. This goes back to the impossible problem of exhaustive testing. Quality Assurance is a fallacy, it’s like calling developers ‘Development Assurance’. Testers test and developers develop. As you said already as well, everyone should think about quality.

4 Likes