I posted this today on the testers.chat slack group and got some great replies:
Mike Ruttenberg shared (if the link doesn’t work, you need to allow adult content as Wonderproxy sometimes gets blocked by ISPs because people use Wonderproxy to bypass restrictions):
I had Sitecore at my disposal, btw, which is great for localisation
I wouldn’t worry about the copy, it’s more about the visuals, ensuring nothing is hard-coded, and that accents render, and complex font characters, line spacing, correct text direction, text lengths don’t wrap awkwardly etc
We used a VPN, and tested at least one valid country per continent, and one non-valid. Also tested those who were most important to work, and confirmed the languages.
Something I learnt from working on a German site is to make sure that page layout doesn’t break with long words, too. As German have longer word lengths.
@dominickua shared a blog post he wrote about this recently
Also make sure the page’s inputs work with the translations, Dropdowns, radio buttons etc can all be a bit different and if you have any level of auto complete, makes sure it doesn’t break your IME if you’re using that input method.
Some other great tips from folks in the chat:
check your translations work Cross-browser if your doing web - I’ve seen issues where font-files and extended char-sets were done in a way it broke in IE11
oohhh AND - I’ve also seen it where the translation being copied in was stored in UTF-8, destroying the extended chars! encoding becomes important
you’ve gotta out of scope language/translation stuff unless that’s been explicitly agreed and you have the people with the skills for that.