Localization testing

At my last job, there was no dedicated tool for this, it was just partially covered (for regions where most of the customers are located) with Selenium UI automation.

I came across this tool recently and I was wondering if anyone tried it, or used some similar tool?

This one is Open Source, but looks like they have a business model behind it.

I was wondering what tools do you use for localization testing?

1 Like

This is a “translator” as I read it. In reality translating without context is not a bad approach, but not sure how to really test user experience or comprehension when you don’t have a native.
Translating by sending “strings” off, and getting them back is still a bit of a patch because it misses the comprehension stage, unless the service is actually “switched on” and not just doing a job but is instead interactive and asks you questions. The way resource strings work in Windows completely explains why web platforms present a wide open field. Don’t use any tooling myself, since we have so few languages supported. Would love to hear from people who do “own” this process, since I’m pretty sure I can do better than simple light touch manual testing.

2 Likes

We do a lot of localisation testing, mostly regarding translations. From the UI point of view we also have no silver bullet tool for this but we use a keyword highlighter extension in Chrome that allows you to quickly find specific words on a web page. And then some simple scripts that extract the longest strings from all the localisation files so that we can quickly find which ones to look for in the UI. We also use open source editors like atom / notepad++ for more find this string in all files. As in we do not test every string in every language in every supported device / browser. Instead we do the: Can you represent all character sets (have specific strings for that) and for each place where a string occur we look at the longest one in general.

2 Likes

If you are planning to go global with your software or need to advance your business model by taking it across global boundaries, Localization testing is the most significant step that determines the success of your initiatives.

Nevertheless, Test Rail or Eggplant are both some amazing tools that could help you lead your localization testing objectives.

1 Like