Weekly Meeting with the Manager

What are some ways to have a productive one on one meeting with your QA Manager?

As a manager myself, I have the following key things that I try to talk about:

• How is it going?
  • How is testing going, are there any challenges that I should know about?
  • Is there anything that I can do to help make your job easier?

Anything else that you think would make this a productive session? I know this isn’t my meeting, but I am trying to simulate useful conversation.

– Chris

2 Likes

I use “what’s on your mind?” I find it makes them think and talk about what’s really on their mind like celebration pieces, challenges and anything else they want to highlight.

also, “what else?” to make them think more.

I got these tips from a book. I’ll see if I can find the title of the book for you, chris.

There is a similar question from the employer and employee perspective. These periodic meetings are called one on ones or 1 on 1s. Here - What Do You Talk about in 1:1s? - #6 by raghu

IMO, looking at the employee’s perspective will also help you find out what they care about & what to discuss in your 1 on 1s.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know, I did a search for “One on One” and didn’t come up with anything.

Sorry for the duplicate post!

Hello @cryan!

In some of my 1/1 meetings, we reviewed work products. These might include a recent automation script, test strategy, or test design.
When I was a Test Lead on a project where I had a team of people (testers and test engineers), we might explore my observations on their work, or challenges with the team.

Joe

1 Like

The book is called the coaching habit. Say less, ask more & change the way you lead forever. By Michael bungay stanier