What are the biggest limitations of Playwright compared to other frameworks?

During an incredibly popular AMA session with @utchbe, an interesting question was raised by @bojan K looking to know:

What are the biggest limitations of Playwright compared to other frameworks?

This question invites us to explore Playwrights unique challenges and constraints in contrast to other popular frameworks. Your experiences, insights, and perspectives on this will greatly enhance this discussion

2 Likes

One limitation which is more of a tradeoff depending on how you look at it, is the Browser version (safari, chrome,firefox) you want to test against is tied to each Playwright release. The positive in this, is with 2 command line commands you can install the Playwright Library and all the browsers for that version, you don’t have to manage this or download and save a bunch of webdriver files. The downside is you can’t choose which browser version you want running.

In a specific scenario I wanted to test with an older version of safari, which a customer had a bug with, and I was wondering why our automation hadn’t caught the issue that they were experiencing. I even tried to look for ways once the bug was fixed for us to run our tests with that older version of safari. sadly this is a limitation with Playwright.

2 Likes