What are your Action Items you'll apply @work from this TestBash?

These events do serve to energise us, but what Iā€™ve seen from many colleagues attending these, is if they donā€™t bring something to aim to apply, this energy fades away quite quicklyā€¦

So share with us what are you attempting/going to apply in your work from this great event?

2 Likes

Whenever I go to a conference or workshop, my manager asks me to share my learnings with the tech team so Iā€™ll be sharing some of the highlights from

• Live coaching w/ Black box puzzles
  • Leadership panel
  • Inspiration and burnout

^ my favourite sessions so far

2 Likes

Itā€™s part of my new role to build and sustain a community of practice, not only in the Bristol office, but across the business.

Events like this really help, as the content, touch points and community spirit then infuse the work I do at the office.

Itā€™s harder doing this remotely, as not everyone is used to remote events, leadership and team dynamics.

1 Like

Itā€™ll be difficult as when you get back, its back to the day job, but going to try to implement things around:

Inspiration & Burnout
Deleting tests
Black box puzzles - this will be great to help build the COP we are trying to do in a large company.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to spend more time writing ā€œnegativeā€ user stories (e.g. it should not be possible for a user to x). I feel like weā€™ve been leaving big chunks of ambiguity just sitting there.

1 Like

A learning lab for those who want to hear my summary from the conference.

• Experiences from AlanĀ“s talk
  • Promote the Evil User Stories to the security team
  • Benefits of an online conference
  • We have planned some Exploratory testing sessions for devs, I will use the black box puzzles for sure
  • ā€¦ and many more
1 Like

Here also - we need to share our learnings too after participating to a conference or a workshop, to the teams.

For now, whatā€™s on my list, highlights and lessons learned from:

• the inspiration and burnout talk
  • should we delete it talk

And I will definitely follow up on the books and links from the crowdcast chat and slack channel! I am reading now the crucial conversations book, and afterwards Iā€™ll go to Radical Candor - I have it at home and saw many of you recommended it.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be sharing Evil User Stories with my team. Not thought of using user stories for improving your systems security. Really enjoyed this talk :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As a senior QA in the organization, I am (was?) feeling quite a bit negative and not believing things can be improved or how I could impact the teams or organization due to a number of tiered constraints some structural, others contextual and even others historical - that despite all our good intentions.

So, assuming Iā€™ll still have a job to return to post-COVID, my main priorities will be :

1- The BIG BIG Huge Rock to move (even if ever so slowly :-/ )

Get teams thinking / considering / moving towards the modern stance of ā€œwhole teamā€ commitment to quality. which will imply changing the mindset of developers, team-leads, dev.managers, and the customerā€™s product and business orgs. This is one MF tough ask !

Daunting taskā€¦ but Iā€™ll re-start evangelizing againā€¦
@How can I avoid loosing faith again ?? finding an Ally was suggested by @LisaCrispin

2- Recovery
I saw that I myself may be suffering from ansiety

So I need to treat that somehowā€¦ I already was dedicating time to sports which kept my mental and physical sanity but I need to start ā€œmindfullness practiceā€ urgent!

3- Depending on the number of teams I get back to

Using these sessions and prepare some ā€œbrown-bagā€ sessions internally to the company.

If I donā€™t have a job to return toā€¦ then I know what kind of team culture I wanna look for :wink:

So this is serving as a potential re-launch for meā€¦ bless COVID and MoT TestBash for that.

1 Like

@deborahreid - How do you plan to share those ? you have a 15 minute session ? you prepare a powerpoint distributed by e-mail ? how do you do it ?

@danielbilling ā€œcommunity of practiceā€ ?! intriguingā€¦ can you ellaborate a bit on that ? what is, mission, etc ?

Thanks for being specific in your answers. Itā€™s good to see how the topics will be applied and ideas for how to do this.

@darren.keig why not consider those scenarios to be covered by "negativeE test scenarios during test analysis of the feature / user story being worked on ?

Probably compile my own slide deck - I did the same thing after attending some workshops last year :slight_smile:

1 Like

I expect thatā€™s exactly what weā€™ll end up doing. Historically, our stories are very good at describing exactly what our features should do but not so good at describing what they shouldnā€™t.

@romansegador Interesting ! what is the format of your ā€œlearning labā€ ? how is that supported by the organization ? when do you schedule it ? after end of working day ou during working day ?

hi @shamaho, it is a format supported by the organization. 30 to 60 minutes talks, once per week (if there are topics). Audience is whoever wants to join from the company. Normally scheduled at the end of the day but still during working hours.

ormat supported by the organization. 30 to 60 minutes talks, once per week (if there are topics). Audience is whoever wants to join from the company. Normally scheduled at the end of the day but still during working hours

Thatā€™s very cool by your organization. Mine also supports it, but generally people are so busy with their projects, that these are mostly put on the back-burnerā€¦ and rarely done.

@deborahreid @romansegador @elena_ivan_28 After you prepare the presentations and share what your learned with the rest or part of the company, HOW MANY and HOW are any ideas picked up and acted upon ? That was my main question ie. regardless of sharing the learning is IF and HOW anything is put into practiceā€¦ what does it need from the team to be actually put into practice ?