Bloggers Club September 2022 - Share Your Learning

Hello folks!

Testbash UK is just around the corner, and a new UK school year has started. How better to celebrate, than to share our learning journey with each other!

I’d love to know what

people have learned, or are going to learn soon.

For example:

• Your notes from a conference talk. (Maybe one of the fabulous TestBash UK sessions)
  • What you’d like to learn and why
  • Share how you solved a problem
  • Your experience with a tool / technique

The list goes on…

If you’d like some examples:

How to get involved

2022-09-14T23:00:00Z2022-09-30T22:59:00Z

• Write a blog on the above topic any time in September, ideally by the 30th :writing_hand:
    • I’ve made a few late submissions, so be kind to yourself.
  • It can be as long or as short as you want it to be
  • Share a link to the blog on this thread :eyes:
    • If you don’t have a blog feel free to write directly in the thread.
  • Receive lots of support, encouragement, and love from the community :heart:
  • It’s possible you’ll get a shout out from the Ministry of Testing Twitter account @simon_tomes :grinning:
  • If you want to get reminders to submit your blog, RSVP below
4 Likes

Here I share some things to keep in mind if you are going to speak at a conference.

Keen to hear others thoughts and if there’s anything else you think beginners should keep in mind.

(I’m going to edit it tonight and add a point on adapters etc. often they’ve been HDMI connectors so can be worth asking about that. I’ll also add a downloadable PDF checklist)

https://nicolalindgren.com/2022/09/18/a-beginners-guide-to-speaking-at-conferences/

9 Likes

I want to improve my understanding of Systems Thinking as this will help my testing. My friend John Holmstrom recommended the work of Peter Senge and so I have just read “The Fifth Discipline” by Peter Senge. The book contains many useful insights about system thinking, learning and leadership.
https://testandanalysis.home.blog/2022/09/20/i-am-learning-about-systems-thinking-to-help-me-test/

6 Likes

I revisited threat modelling at a TestBash conference. Security — Threat modelling. I’m sitting on the train at Manchester… | by Melissa Fisher | Sep, 2022 | Medium

4 Likes

@flynnbops here are my notes from the conference that I attended last weekend in Bangalore. I have noted them down as a mindmap. Hope it still counts as an entry :blush:

Topics covered:

• Panel discussion on ‘AI ML and Impact on testing profession’
  • Test environments and how testers can own them
  • My journey from finding bugs to preventing bugs by Pradeep S
  • Shift left performance engineering with CICD
  • Gamification in testing
  • Mutation testing
  • Chaos Engineering
  • Introduction to RPA

Game of Testing - mindmap of an unconference

P. S: I was unable to attach the pdf itself. New user restrictions :unamused: Attaching google drive link.

4 Likes

This is a great shout. So easy to overlook. I’ve been let down many times before with bad or lack of connections. I did eventually learn :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for the post @mikeharris , and links to further information. Was there “one thing” that made you want to explore the topic? Or one of those cases, of you’ve been meaning to do it for a while.

I’ve also got it on my list to better understand the topic. Keen to know if something “triggered” learning about it now.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @melissafisher! Do you have much experience with security as a whole? If not how did the topic sit with you?

3 Likes

Hi @gunesh

Your lovely mindmap 100% counts! I love mindmaps, so I’ll never say no. :smiley: Great seeing the variety of topics covered at the Game of Testing 2022 conference.

Which topic(s) most interested you?

2 Likes

I wanted to get a deeper understaning of sytems thinking as it is a subject people oftern talk about. I also wanted to share what I had learned

3 Likes

I have written a second post about learning. Learning is an important part of testing but should we practice continous learning? Should we practice continuous learning? – TestAndAnalysis

3 Likes

Thank you @flynnbops ! i loved the session on journey of Pradeep Soundarajan and Gamification by @geosley :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks @gunesh for the mention. Glad you liked it.

4 Likes

Morning folks!

I can’t believe September has already come and gone. Turns out I’m looking at a few things, and they’ve all been interesting.

3 Likes

GraphQL is pretty fun to learn, it’s not abstract as it seems at first when you start using it.

2 Likes

I like using graphql as a test interface!

2 Likes