What are your top bug-hunting techniques?

Here’s our latest article, “Reboot Your Bug-Hunting: Five Ways to Supercharge Your Software Testing” from @hanisha. This piece helps testers enhance their skills and find hidden bugs.

What You’ll Discover:

• Learn new strategies to uncover hidden bugs before they reach production.
  • Discover how to balance speed and thoroughness to make your testing process more efficient.
  • Recognise the importance of taking breaks and staying mentally agile to improve your testing effectiveness.

After reading the article, we love for you to share your thoughts:

How will you implement these strategies? Or what additional advice do you have?

3 Likes

Interesting article, couple of opinions/takeaways:

1. I take issue with the term “monkey testing” as the activity to throw random scenarios at the software is a subset of exploratory testing. That’s what I would like to call. In some circles, I even came across people referring to Exploratory Testing as Monkey Testing.
  2. Doing the testing in short sessions is absolutely crucial, not only does it allow you some break but it also gives you the opportunity to think on how the software has been behaving up until now; and what the next course of action should be.
  3. Checklists, mind maps and just some old fashioned lists are very important as they keep important information ready on the go for you.

Another thing I’d like to add is planning. Plan your test session by jotting down pointers. Go free writing, just a sentence or two about the check and what oracles are relevant to it. I use a column approach and sometimes a mind map.

4 Likes

A few different things:

• What the other testers(or anyone else in a testing role) would not have thought of?
  • Test less. Instead get myself involved with stakeholders, business, sales, marketing, and other people invested in the product and understand their assumptions and desires.
  • Start from the final point, explore backward, and analyze the branching and data domains.
2 Likes

Interesting article. Thank you.

1 Like