What details do you put in framework documentation

Hello once again,

I’m looking to find out a bit more about framework documentation, specifically:

What details do you put in framework documentation

Documentation can sometimes feel unnecessary, but if we get the right balance, we have the ability to share valuable details without drowning in writing. So, what do you add to your documentation?

Big thanks in advance for the answers :robot:

1 Like

I would think in general, it would depend on how complex or simple the framework is.

• What might a user need to know to use the framework?
  • Is it straightforward and intuitive to use, or will users need help on how to use framework?
  • Steps to install, setup, use the framework, a quickstart tutorial
  • Would the framework need an FAQ?
  • What features would you want to highlight about the framework that isn’t obvious? Or features that might not always be used but which are good to have for the 10-20% use cases?
  • Example code to highlight use of a specific feature of framework. Not all features are intuitive how you would use them.

Hi Richard.

Assuming that by framework you mean something that adds generic functionality to one or more tools AND that each source file is well-written (and therefore easy to read and maintain by itself):

• For maintainers:
    • A picture of the architecture / design. At least a high-level one and additional ones if certain parts are complex enough to warrant it.
    • What important decisions were made and why? (For what the picture shows but also other things, such as what design pattern(s) are being used.)
  • For users:
    • How to set it up in your project (= a READ.ME file).
    • Code examples that show representative usage if that seems useful.
  • Normally nothing that only concerns a single file. Documentation on that should go in that file.

I’ll be specific to my test automation repositories and how I have them organized. I have found that having a good readme/documentation, saves me a lot of time on training, as all the information is there to get started and learn for anyone who puts in the time.

Overview
A summary of what the repo is, explaining what it’s purpose is. In this section you could add an image or diagram of how it’s used in the Software Delivery Life Cycle, explaining where it runs automatically, and what steps, and what set of tests are run.

Getting started

• Include links to the documentation of the libraries or tools you are using ex: selenium documentation for ____ coding language.
  • Include links to tutorials on how to use the tool (this could be an internal video recording or a good tutorial online

Installation

• Commands to install all dependencies (include windows, mac, linux depending on what types of workstations your team uses). This can also include installing any webdrivers or other dependencies

Running Tests Locally

• How to run the tests. This should include the different ways to run tests.
    • A single test
    • A group of tests
    • Tests in debug or headed mode, etc
    • Tests against different environments
  • Walk through any docker configurations necessary for emulating a CI run locally

Running Tests in CI (cloud)

• How you kick off a run in the cloud
  • Where do you go to see reports, failures, videos, screenshots, network traces, etc
  • Instruction on who is responsible for monitoring failures (this could be a rotation, a team, or a specific individual).

Writing Tests

• walk through how to write a test, what tools, utilities, libraries are available. (faker, etc)
  • Cover how to setup before and after hooks within tests, and the best practices
  • Discuss authentication and state of how the test should start (logged in?, as a user or admin?, logged out?, etc)
  • How information is abstracted away from the test view such as Page Objects, and how they work.
  • Include specific helper methods or data factories that help get data in a good state that are available to contributors.
  • Include how to run any linters, formatters, or pre-commit hooks and how they work.
  • Include any global setup or tear down steps and configuration files (where to find them)

Writing Tests Best Practices

• Include specific framework best practices established by the team.
    • Best way to access UI elements (example by data-test-id) or whatever the standard is within the codebase
    • Interacting with ShadowDom or iframe elements
    • How to chain elements if there is an established pattern
    • How to organize your test file including spacing preferences
    • Timeouts within tests and how to override if needed
    • Discuss how to track coverage/organization/tagging of tests (smoke, happy, admin, etc)
  • It’s worth showing off an example of a good spec in this section as somewhat a starting point for new contributors.
  • Description of how best to debug your code while writing or troubleshooting an issue.

Visual Testing (or any other type of testing your framework is doing)

• Include how to update snapshots locally and for CI runs

Link List

• Official Docs for tools you use

• Playwright
    • Faker
    • ect
  • VS Code Extension Links

• Test Runner
    • Prettier
    • ESLint
    • Programming Language for framework
4 Likes