I’m starting a new assignment next Monday as mobile tester/developer.
It’s not my first rodeo so I’ve got a couple of ideas what I want to accomplish on my first day and first week, but it’s made me curious about what other people do on their first day?
I’ll share my own goals.
- get to know the team
- check out both iOS and Android projects and get them running on the simulator
- get a feel for all the Scrum ceremonies and/or other meetings that are recurring daily/weekly.
- test the application in a playful manner, write down questions, observations.
- lots of hands-on exploratory testing
- super nice would be if I could fix a bug I find during testing somewhere in the first week.
- observe the testing that is already happening by others in the team, without changing it. I’ll only write down observations, things that I think should be improved or changed. I personally find it extremely annoying if a new person starts complaining about things at once, I think some time should be reserved to gather context.
- create a Heuristic Test Strategy Model in the form of a Mindmap to help me model the application from different angles.
- browse Confluence to see what is already written on testing and the development process.
- pair programming with the iOS and Android devs to they can educate me about the code and the workflow.
- plan an interactive meeting where I’ll explain what I think testing can and cannot do. The goal is to quickly find out if people in my team think different about testing and what problems that could give.
This list is not exhaustive, but those are the things I could think of right now.
What would you do?