What is your advice on those trying to cross the bridge from team member to team leader when applying for those roles externally to where I work?

This was an excellent question from Charlotte Gascoigne (@chargasc) asked at @shwetaneelsharma’s masterclass webinar: How To Build a Thriving QA/Testing Team With People-First Leadership

What is your advice on those trying to cross the bridge from team member to team leader when applying for those roles externally to where I work?

What advice can you share?

2 Likes

I would ask @chargasc had a chance to demonstrate leadership skills in other situations .e.g through a community of practice, organisng events, taking charge of other initiatives? if so, then I would mention these

2 Likes

hi Charlotte (@chargasc),

From Leading Test teams when you are not a manager by @deament :wink: :

During my test career, I’ve found myself acting like a leader even if I didn’t realize it at the time. These patterns of behavior included:

• Mentoring and coaching others
  • Being a sounding board for other testers when they needed someone to listen to them
  • Introducing other testers to new ideas (like exploratory testing)
  • Doing presentations for other teams on how testing is done
  • Running workshops on various aspects of testing

can tell you if you are already doing this. Additional tricks - also when you are aiming for a leadership role is the leadership wiki:

Getting to a leadership role in testing has the same challenges as any role really. I often revert back to the StaffEng site - most of the descriptions are also relevant for test leadership:

Latsly, let me mention I’m currently writing a book about Leading Testing Activities? all of the resources above are already in the book so far. :slight_smile:

All the best on your journey, Jesper

1 Like