What makes a tool a testing tool? – 30 Days of Tools, Day 2

There is so many good and thoughtful answers here that I don’t have anything to add really, but I can do tongue and cheek statement:

• Anything that makes software break
2 Likes
  • What’s your definition of a testing tool?
    Anything that can help me test the product

• How do you know it’s a testing tool?
    It points out something out/ helps me

• What things help you decide if a tool is not a testing tool?
    If the information I’m getting from it/ or how it’s being used isn’t helpful to me.

2 Likes

What is a software tool?

Software tools are an asset that assist all aspects of the testing cycle from planning down to the test summary report. Any tools which can help with any kind of testing can be considered as a testing tool e.g. Jira is used for bug tracking, Screen recordings and screenshots used for testing evidence.

How do you know it’s a testing tool?

Typically, anything that makes testing easier for you can be considered a testing tool.

What things help you decide if a tool is not a testing tool?

To me, if the information you’re getting from it is inaccurate or risky e.g. chrome emulator then it’s not a testing tool for me. Chrome emulator does not represent the real likeness of a mobile phone/tablet device therefore supplies inaccurate information.

4 Likes

I think mirza’s answer is spot on!

3 Likes

I’ve shared my notes from this days challenge in the following blog post.

What’s your definition of a testing tool?

Based on the above analysis and the dictionary definition of a tool, I’d use this definition to define what a testing tool is:

A device, implement or software program that can be used to help complete a particular test related function.

This allows the definition to include software programs (like postman or testrail) as well as physical devices (like pen and paper). It also doesn’t exclude devices that merely help with completing a test related function rather than completing the function in whole.

Simply put, the tool has to help with a testing task.

It doesn’t have to complete the task in full, it can just help with completing the task. It also doesn’t have to be specifically designed to help with testing. If it helps with testing, then its a testing tool

Another simple answer, if it doesn’t help complete a test related task.

Although it might not be as black and white as this. If listening to music helps me focus while testing, then is Spotify a testing tool?

3 Likes
  • What’s your definition of a testing tool?
    Basically, anything that can help me finish the test successfully. Since we all work mostly on Internet that can include any program, browser or script. In the off world, testing tool can also be any kind of hardware, from wrench that helps you tighten that valve that you’re testing to airplane if you’re a test pilot.

• How do you know it’s a testing tool?
    You eat lunch with a fork. Does fork help you eat? Yes. Same with testing tool.

• What things help you decide if a tool is not a testing tool?
    Let’s put aside things that are built/developed/created for the purpose of testing from the get-go. If a testing tool does not help me finish my test in any way, then it is not a testing tool. Let’s say some communication program like Skype or Slack. Those are communication tools. Although we collaborate and sync with others through those tools, actual tests are never done with help of communication tools.

2 Likes
  1. Something that helps me to find out important information about the thing(s) I’m testing, or present that information in a different way. Alternatively, something that lets me interact with the thing(s) I’m testing in a different way, in order to discover relevant information faster.
  2. If the value it provides is more than the costs of setup time, debugging etc., then I’d say it qualifies as a tool.
  3. Does it have a well-defined purpose and goal(s)? Are its features well documented? Can I validate its output in some way to confirm that it’s not giving me inaccurate or incomplete results? If the answer to any of these questions is no, it’s probably not an effective or suitable testing tool.
3 Likes

That’s a tough one. I’m not sure if I would draw such a hard line between testing tools and non-testing tools. I think you should always look outside your bubble as you can find amazing things that people use for their jobs but never thought it could help out for a task like QA too.
I never thought that docker or any other infrastructure tools could help me but it makes the setup of an environment so much faster. Same goes to CircleCi orbs which provides you with a full setup for the things you need.
A tool needs to help me with things I don’t have time to do myself, help me to optimize tasks, or with things I literally can’t do (e.g. visual tests comparing pixel by pixel).

3 Likes

What’s your definition of a testing tool?
It is everything that allows optimizing each of the activities of the testing process.

If a tool allows me to somehow optimize the work product of an activity within the testing process, then it is a testing tool.

If a tool does not add value to the work product of an activity within the testing process, then it is not a testing tool.

2 Likes