What’s a testing belief you once held but have now let go?

(Rosie) #1

The software testing world has undoubtedly changed in the past 5, 10 and 20 years.

For those that have been around long enough, what’s a testing belief you once held but have now let go of?

Response so from a Tweet I put out:

• That everything has to be planned and nailed down up front (Dan Billing)
  • That you had to be ISEB certified before you could be a good tester - (LarryG)
  • That testing is about finding bugs (Hylke De Jong)
  • That I can find all the bugs. (Dana Bentley)
  • That testers and developers don’t work together (Iain Bright)
  • That 100% bug free is the goal. (Jenna Charlton)
  • Always aiming for the best :slight_smile: (Helena Barmer)
  • Automation coverage 100% :slight_smile: (Anand Ganesh Sivaraj)
  • That you had to automate EVERYTHING (Kaveeta Bhatia)
  • That assigned acceptants take acceptance testing seriously. (Herman Nijland)
  • That we needed a perfect understanding of how the system was supposed to work before we could do any useful testing. (To be honest that illusion didn’t survive contact with reality for very long.) (James Christie)

(Richard) #2

That every bug I found had to be logged, you know, to show that I found it, just incase…!

And that it was up to me to determine what bugs were fixed!

(David) #3

That “Closed - Waived” was a personal slight on me as a professional tester, and not just a business/time/budget call.

(Ady Stokes) #4

I’ve let go of an early belief that you had to answer the question, ‘does it work’ with a binary answer

(Sarah ) #5

I tweeted to say;

“Quality is only the testings responsibility.” Nope.

I’m very glad we have moved away form the culture that if anything isn’t a high quality is is the testers fault. Instead we ensure the entire team, developer, tester, product owner ensure the ‘quality is built in’. It’s always a work in progress but it has to be a team activity. From the conception of the idea, to the deployment, everyone is responsible.

(Rob Diamond) #6

Every possible permutation needs to be tested. A more experienced tester explained the principals of risk based testing and the impossibility of exhaustive ( in both number of tests and physical exertion) testing. Made me chill out.

Also my biggest fear was if something went live and a bug was found I would be blamed and sacked.

(João Farias) #7

Previous belief: Testers* can assure that something is good.

Current belief: The users are the only ones that can say** something is good.

* Nor any single individual, as a matter of fact.
** So we need testing in production

(Janet) #8

“Well, it depends…” :joy:

(Heather) #9

In the beginning, I thought I could test everything.

Then I started looking at user flow diagrams, multiplying out all of the possibilities and I realised…yeah good luck with that thought!

(Heather) pinned globally #10

(Penny) #11

That I HAVE TO find all the bugs

(Phil Halliday) #12

That automation would take my job.

Now I know automation has only made my job more interesting!

(Simon) #13

I believe my role is to find bugs. No one wants to hear my thoughts on stuff that isn’t related to a bug. You know, such things like feature and product ideas, concerns, compliments, the quality of my testing and how we might make it easier for all of us to test.