What sort of data do you like to see at a high level on a dashboard?

An excellent question from @christovskia over on LinkedIn.

Thinking about dashboards and how we can use them as testers to display testing data and progress.

What sort of data do you like to see at a high level on a dashboard?

Iโ€™m always curious to hear what folks have used to demonstrate progress and a snapshot at any given time. I always struggled to find the right balance to satisfy the needs of different stakeholders. I guess the audience is super key. Who are you trying to motivate? Who are you trying to give confidence to? Who are you trying to stop keep asking you for the detail? What conversations are you looking to spark?

It was sometimes disheartening. Like at one point all anyone in our engineering team cared about was that the build broke and who was gonna fix it.

I did once create a dashboard that would track High, Medium, and Low risk automated checks โ€” whatโ€™s implemented and whatโ€™s to be implemented. It helped my QA team focus their efforts.

How would you answer the question from Chris?

5 Likes

I want to see assessments of people too. Not only data grapped from other running code.

Pretty much the Low-Tech Testing Board.
Product Areas x Test Effort, Test Coverage, Quality Assessment x Time

The data and progress of WHAT?
Just other executed code on a remote machine?

People can tell you the whole progress of a project (or at their tasks).
Machines only their progress of code execution.

2 Likes

He also asked at Twitter where I gave the same answer:

1 Like

Something I am interested in is Quality Costs. I wrote a blog post about this with an example dashboard: A quality costs scorecard โ€“ TestAndAnalysis

3 Likes

I commented this also on LinkedIn:

First of all - of course colored circles and graphs that show a green color and it says โ€œSUCCESSโ€. :joy:

Serious - it depends for what you need them, for yourself like a monitor dashboard on health states or test execution process or overview on defects/bugs in current sprint or overall for the milestone? I would say create a few dashboards with up to 5-6 data and graphs, donโ€™t overload a dashboard. Keep it simple and stay focused. What I had in my last projects was a dashboard where the complete team and the PO and steakholders could view progress of manual and automated tests in combination of work of defect issues. And then a QA dashboard only for us testers.

3 Likes