What system name acronyms are your favourites?

@alg never forgets testing SABRE!

Site Access Booking for Railway Engineering

Some system names never leave you, according to Al. And I couldn’t agree more!

What system name acronyms are your favourites? And what do/did they stand for?

I do love a good system acronym. :smile:

4 Likes

SABRE triggered, sorry :smiley:

2 Likes

At one place where I worked, we had various APIs. The naming convention was simple. Just stick the first letter of the word before “API”.

Common API = CAPI
Bushfire API = BAPI

The words become so easy and conversational. It’s funny how that happens, eh!

“Yeah, but what endpoints are changing in the BAPI if the CAPI is now doing that?” :smiley:

Long long ago, I named a library “Web Test Framework”. The code matched the acronym. :wink:

4 Likes

GLITCH: Gigantic Logic Issue That Causes Havoc

1 Like

CUI - Contract UI
DUI - Dashboard UI
ZBS - Zendesk Bridge Service
VROT - but I don’t remember the meaning :sweat_smile:
Backdoor - not an acronym but quite an unusual name for a web service
I also recall BAPI as @simon_tomes mentioned, but the name was quite simple: Backend API
Some of the aforementioned names/acronyms may seem simple and normal, but it actually depends on your native language :smiley:

2 Likes

We have FAP, which some now refer to as FA+ (the P is for Plus). The funniest thing being stand ups in the office where a few oblivious colleagues were loudly talking about FAP, while a few of us giant children tried hard not to giggle
 good times

1 Like

Brilliant!

I so need to work out what it meant. :thinking:

Very Read Only Table? :sweat_smile:

“Ah yes, you can’t update the VROT! If we update the VROT then bad things will happen!”
“Why can’t we update it?”
“Do you know what it stands for!”
“Ah, I see.”

1 Like

CRUNCH: Catastrophic Regression Unearths Nasty Code Hiccups
FAILSAFE: Frivolous Attempts In Locating Software’s Foulups And Security Embarrassments

2 Likes

CRUNCH : Catastrophic Regression Unearths Nasty Code Hiccups
FAILSAFE : Frivolous Attempts In Locating Software’s Foulups And Security Embarrassments

Have you really had services named like that at your company(ies)? It’s hard to imagine that someone would name services like that :sweat_smile: Usually, people come up with a normal full name for a service but in a way to get funny-sounding acronyms. But your examples don’t seem the case :slight_smile:

These are for fun sake .Whenever someone would use these words I would imagine them in my mind like this.:grinning:

1 Like

Brill! Perhaps this should become a mission, to encourage someone out there to name a part of their system, The CRUNCH. :wink:

1 Like

Total Inability To Support Usual Performance (TITSUP - coined by The Register).
Someone Else’s Problem (SEP - possibly Douglas Adams)

1 Like

BIF - Broker Information System

(always reminded me of the guy from Back to the Future)

1 Like

My current workplace has the {environmentAcronym}api :sweat_smile:

A previous workplace had PMS which was Policy Management System.

It was brilliantly named because it was a black screen of doom system, so no mouse took newbie’s a bit to learn + remember all the menu/shortcut key combos.

Then once a month bang on 6pm it would lock for ‘maintenance’ no matter if you were in the midst of something or not. I started my career there on the phones and occasionally you would get the late minute caller trying to do something before close so we would be madly trying to process away while they gass bag, then all of a sudden I exclaim ‘Gah! PMS is down’. It caused more than a couple of customers to double take and then burst into laughter when I explained what I meant :sweat_smile:

That same company also had a system called MAX, I believe it meant Membership Administration something
:woman_shrugging: I definitely did mean something, though. When it came for it to be replaced there was an internal comp with staff to name its replacement, which was another name like acronym
I think it might have been EVE or something. That was around the time I left, so dont quote me on that last one haha

1 Like