What tools have you used in the last week? – 30 Days of Tools, Day 19

Hi there and welcome to Day 19 of the 30 Days of Tools challenge. :wave:

What tools have you used in the last week?

• What did they help you do? What problem were they trying to solve?
  • Did you get stuck? If so, what did you do to unstick yourself?
  • Who might you share these tools with?

Feel free to reply to this post and share wherever you like, on the MoT Slack, LinkedIn, Twitter using #30DaysOfTools, Racket, your blog, with your team and any place you feel might inspire yourself and others to do the same. Let’s learn from each other throughout October. Visit the 30 Days of Tools page and select the “Subscribe to Topic” button to receive each daily challenge direct to your inbox.

:point_right: Have you seen the amazing schedule and registered for Test.bash();?

It’s on October 28th, 10am-10pm UK time. Available with a Pro Subscription or you can purchase a ticket.

2 Likes

Burpsuite - Capture traffic & send requests to the repeater to break stuff.
I was looking to mess around in an application and found an infinite-loop-bug in 1Password :wink:

I did not get stuck! :slight_smile:
If I would have gotten stuck, Google is my friend.

Anyone who asks or wants to learn

1 Like

With more people working from home, retrospectives became a challenge. When in the office, we used physical post-its to share our thoughts of the previous sprint. This was no longer possible when we weren’t in the office anymore. I’d recently attended an online lean coffee session where we used Metro Retro. I noted that it included several built in templates designed for retrospectives so I recommended it to the team. We tried it out, really liked it and it continued to be used for organising retrospectives while we were working from home.

Main challenge was deciding which template to use. There were some fun ones but the prompts weren’t as inspiring as others (the box themed one asked for things to put in the box, keep in the box and remove from the box - this was a little confusing so didn’t use it again).

I’m not sure if this is technically getting stuck, but I did find the existing templates limited its use to just lean coffee and retrospectives. I decided to play around with Build mode and tried creating new templates. I wanted to hold a meeting to create an exploratory testing charter so I tried out some ideas for this. I used my ice berg drawing from my article where I compare testing to trying to save the Titanic as inspiration for one of my templates. The things we knew went at the top of the ice berg, and the things we didn’t know went deeper into the ocean.

Anyone who wants to improve the way they run retrospectives could use this tool. Once my team started using Metro Retro, word spread and other teams started using it. I recently left the company, but on my leaving card someone jokingly wrote “METRO RETRO WILL LIVE FOREVER” - a nice reminder that I introduced it to the company and many teams benefitted.

1 Like

I used Testrail Exploratory Testing test type, edited the template a bit and used it for a few ET sessions

Not this time, but when I do get stuck I usually end up on stackoverflow or tool community forums.

With my team and other testers from the community.

1 Like

It took us a while to catch up on challenges after taking a Monday off, but we managed it! Here’s our thoughts on some tools we shared (and challenge 18 as well)

2 Likes

Postman, Chrome devtools, Burp Suite, Charles, DBeaver, Rubymine, RSpec&Faraday, Docker Desktop, Kibana, Loki, Braze… and I probably forgot a few.

What did they help you do? What problem were they trying to solve?

All sorts of different stuff but a lot of it was around testing a new backend service - everything from sending a single API request manually to a local instance of the service and observing the result in the database to end-to-end testing and digging in the logs to debug integration issues.

Did you get stuck? If so, what did you do to unstick yourself?

I did not :slight_smile: But when I do get stuck, I usually do a bit of googling and if that doesn’t help, I ask somebody. Either our devs, or post a question on the MoT Slack - there’s always somebody knowledgeable who’s happy to help :+1:

Who might you share these tools with?

My colleagues and hopefully a few MoT learners on my 99 minutes workshop :wink:

1 Like

Git, jenkins, cypress, postman, devtools, JIRA,…
We had trouble with data injection for automation, after speaking with a tech lead, we are now trying to use H2 Database H2 Database Engine
Seems to work! :partying_face:
We have to share it with others QAs in my company.

2 Likes

Insomnia - function as a rest client to test our API

No I didn’t really get stuck.

Anyone who wants an open source Rest Client

2 Likes