Pair with someone at work/in the community and share the tools you used – 30 Days of Tools, Day 18

Hooray, it’s Day 18 of the 30 Days of Tools challenge. Hanging on in there? You got this!

Pair with someone at work/in the community and share the tools you used

• What could you pair on together?
  • What happened? How did the tools help/hinder you both?
  • What would you try differently if you were to do it again?

Feel free to reply to this post and share wherever you like, on the MoT Slack, LinkedIn, Twitter using #30DaysOfTools, Racket, your blog, with your team and any place you feel might inspire yourself and others to do the same. Let’s learn from each other throughout October. Visit the 30 Days of Tools page and select the “Subscribe to Topic” button to receive each daily challenge direct to your inbox.

:point_right: Have you seen the amazing schedule and registered for Test.bash();?

It’s on October 28th, 10am-10pm UK time. Available with a Pro Subscription or you can purchase a ticket.

2 Likes

Learned a co-worker how to use Ciphey

We made a encode/decoding game and send each other encoded messages.

Install it straight to Linux instead of trying to find workarounds for Windows.

4 Likes

I have a weekly pair-programming session with one of the developers from my team, we pair on API automation.

We started using the Code with me feature in InteliJ a few months ago and it’s been working out great. I’ve been teaching him about Rest-Assured and the dev has been showing me a few tricks with Spring Boot - such as generating requests.

Have more frequent sessions, and to make sure that they aren’t too long as pairing requires concentration and if a session is several hours long, the efficiency drops.

3 Likes
What could you pair on together?

I did a pair-review/pair-programming Cypress session with a new employee. We started with comments on git…

What happened? How did the tools help/hinder you both?

We ended up sitting next to each other.

What would you try differently if you were to do it again?

If we cannot be in the same room I want to try codewithme plugging. An asynchronous process does not work for pairing.

2 Likes

Implementing a test in playwright.js

The hinderance came from their lack of experience with the tool, which I suppose is the whole point of pairing on it. They saw the simpler syntax and bundled features as super useful.

Impress again that I am not trying to take their current tool from them. Just opening their eyes to a world of other tools that should be considered to make sure you are using the right one.

2 Likes